Rear end swap question. Roll controll | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear end swap question. Roll controll

justin1795

Reaction score
City, State
Blue Grass ia
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 4.6 limited
Rear end making lots of noise was thinking of a swap to get threw winter. I have a d4 axle. I have read roll control in a traction control system and you have a button by the cupholder. I don't have one. When sorcing a replacement I find 3.73 limited slip with roll controll. Will this work with a non roll controll vehicle. Is it still use the d4 code?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not entirely sure, but it has a lot to do with the ABS sensors... IIRC the RSC is "4 channel" ABS (a sensor at each wheel), older models are "3 channel ABS" (sensors at each front wheel, with the 3rd sensor on the differential). Your vehicle will need a differential compatible with the rear ABS sensor in the third member. Newer RSC differentials have a plastic plug covering the unused sensor hole on top of the third member.

Another member did this swap. You have to remove the tone ring from the old diff and install into the new one in addition to moving the hall effect sensor over. I've been wanting to do this for a while.

D4 is surely a 3.73.

Another member did this swap. You have to remove the tone ring from the old diff and install into the new one in addition to moving the hall effect sensor over. I've been wanting to do this for a while.
I replaced the 3 channel ABS diff in my 03 explorer with a 4 channel diff from an 05 explorer, both 3.55 LS, my ABS light stays on but it's not throwing any codes. So, it must be because I didn't make those internal adjustments. Will I have any issues other than the ABS light staying on? thank you, Bill

Back