Rear end trouble on a 3rd Gen Explorer! Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear end trouble on a 3rd Gen Explorer! Help!

ExplorerRider

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
What would cause my '05 Explorer XLT Sport 4×4 to have a winding & whining racket w/each revolution of the wheels, not to mention the rear end squeaks & eeks, as well. Any info is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the cover and have a look. Probably time for a rebuild. These rear ends aren’t very stout.

What would cause my '05 Explorer XLT Sport 4×4 to have a winding & whining racket w/each revolution of the wheels, not to mention the rear end squeaks & eeks, as well. Any info is appreciated!
since i assume you dont hace an auto locker id pull the cover see whats goin on.

Pull the cover and have a look. Probably time for a rebuild. These rear ends aren’t very stout.
which rear end was in the 3g? the 8.8s in my experienfe are very stout especially the 31 spl ones

I believe it’s an 8.8 derivative, but at this age, unless they’ve been maintained, they are a little prone to failure. No rear end can handle running dry. These have axle seal failures that tend to weep.

I just changed my rear differential fluid the lube locker gasket is awesome
Just sayen

I believe it’s an 8.8 derivative, but at this age, unless they’ve been maintained, they are a little prone to failure. No rear end can handle running dry. These have axle seal failures that tend to weep.
hmmmm ok yeah maintainence is key. but as long as theres fluid all the 8.8s ive seen (neighbor drags mustangs so hes got s ton of those) have been rock solid and handled a ton of power (granted they all had fluid tho)

hmmmm ok yeah maintainence is key. but as long as theres fluid all the 8.8s ive seen (neighbor drags mustangs so hes got s ton of those) have been rock solid and handled a ton of power (granted they all had fluid tho)
From what I’ve seen on the forum these are more prone to failure than the solid rears.

From what I’ve seen on the forum these are more prone to failure than the solid rears.
mmm ok all my experience is with the solids in race fox bodies and the sn95

Appreciate all the replies, but I accidentally made a somewhat misleading statement. By rear-end, I just meant the ass end. Not the actual rear end. The racket is coming from the rear wheels. It comes & goes. My mechanic thought it was a bushing & soaked it in WD-40 for me overnight, & when we left, it sounded fine. But by the time I got it home, parked it at abt a 45 degree incline, & fired it back up, the winding racket was extremely loud from the driver's side, & significant from the passenger side. Any more suggestions/thoughts???

It's actually a racket coming from both of the rear wheels, & it comes & goes.
The actual racket is a winding, whining racket that happens w/every revolution of the rear wheels. Moreso the driver's side, but the passenger side, to a lesser degree, too. The actual rear end itself doesn't seem to be in bad shape. But then anything beyond a rear-wheel drive small block w/a carburetor is beyond me! Sonofabitch, if this ain't aggravating!

There’s not much it can be. Either it’s in the brakes, axle shafts, or differential.

A loud whine could be the pinion going out. How many miles on it?

Back