• Register Today It's free!

rear end wobbling

emas

Reaction score
City, State
Central Mass.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Limited
Just drove 1000 miles cross country, and noticed that my rear end is wobbling on the highway ONLY with a slight left turn. Checked and set tire pressures before I left. I don't normally drive this car and have not noticed this problem before.

My primary concern is my safety, and would like to confirm if there is anything serious before driving back home. Also, do not know/trust any mechanics here, and would like to narrow done potential problem before bringing it to someone.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just drove 1000 miles cross country, and noticed that my rear end is wobbling on the highway ONLY with a slight left turn. Checked and set tire pressures before I left. I don't normally drive this car and have not noticed this problem before.

My primary concern is my safety, and would like to confirm if there is anything serious before driving back home. Also, do not know/trust any mechanics here, and would like to narrow done potential problem before bringing it to someone.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Don't know if you have this or not...my 95 has a horizontally mounted shock absorber running between the rear end and the right side frame rail. It's not shown in any of the parts listings I've seen at O'Reilly, AZ or NAPA. I had to take it in so the NAPA guy could take the numbers off of it (it was the original Ford part) and cross it over...had to order one in.

Could be a loose wheel, bad wheel bearing, bad rear toe link, or some other failed suspension component. I may just be an alarmist, but I wouldn't drive it in the current condition!

So why would I only feel it on a slight left turn?

Can't say. I know that a wobble can be a dangerous thing. Your profile says you are from Central MA. Where are you now? I know that if you take it into a Ford Dealer Quick Lane and have the oil changed, they will check all that stuff out. Even if you don't need an oil change, maybe get one for peace of mind? :dunno:

Check out the Quick Lane website for more info and to find a Quick Lane near you: CLICK ME!!

Good luck & be sure to keep us posted.

your rear tie rods are probably bad, or the lower control arm bushings.

Back