Rear Floor Cargo Door Latch Broken... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Floor Cargo Door Latch Broken...

keesor

Reaction score
City, State
Belpre, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited
I've done some searches and can't find anything. Maybe I'm just calling it the wrong thing?

I have a 2003 Limited, and in the rear floor, one of the latches that open the doors covering the small storage compartments has a broken latch. The handle is actually broken off of it.

Can I just replace the latch / handle part, or do you have to replace the whole door from a junkyard? If just the latch can be replaced, is there anywhere online that I can order one?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take a pic ...better to see and help....is it the cargo cover behind the third row?

Mine doesn't have the 3rd row seat, but yes it is one of the two cargo doors in the floor. Here's a pic. The handle is broken completely off....

IMAG0060.jpg

check on fordparts.com. they have all the factors pics for parts. I have found them there in the past.

Yes you can replace just the latch. It comes as the whole assembly and just pressure fits in place. It is a dealer only item but as I recall is not that much money to replace and only a few minutes worth of your time.

Mine has been broken forever--I just fit a nylon zip tie thru the holes to use has a handle--

Had the same problem. I used JB Weld to rebuild the broken tab. I lost a pin from one side and just used a section from a finishing nail to replace.

Thanks for the help guys!!! Looks like I'll be making a trip to the dealership.

Was anyone able to get a part number? I checked fordparts but no dice. If anyone makes it to the dealer and buys a replacement please post the part number. Thanks

I broke mine like the second day I had the truck, never have fixed it.

They want $50. I'd rather install a pull rope On my 13 yr old car

I've done some searches and can't find anything. Maybe I'm just calling it the wrong thing?

I have a 2003 Limited, and in the rear floor, one of the latches that open the doors covering the small storage compartments has a broken latch. The handle is actually broken off of it.

Can I just replace the latch / handle part, or do you have to replace the whole door from a junkyard? If just the latch can be replaced, is there anywhere online that I can order one?

Thanks,
I had the same problem with my 2006. The item is discontinued. I had one 3D printed. They are available in white or black ABS plastic for around $10. I had to use some nails to replace the pins. Here is the old one with my failed epoxy repair and the new one installed. Contact me at AmesCreative.net

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_aa9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_aa9.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 107

Back