• Register Today It's free!

Rear Glass open while driving?

97sprt4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Jerz
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Mazda3 GT
with the warmer months approaching it's nice to have all the windows open when i'm driving. My rear glass struts aren't any good, in the winter they won't hold the glass up, so i know they're on their way out, i was just wondering if there is a way, possibly a different strut to use to keep it open while driving. My fear is even if i get new struts that if i hit a bump in the road my back glass will shatter.

Just seeing if anyone else has had this idea or if they have done it.

Thanks,
Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done this with large loads that had to go through the rear glass area with no window assistance

you can also put a CLAMP on the strut shaft to hold it open if you're really afraid

I've done this with large loads that had to go through the rear glass area with no window assistance
the only problem with this is there is stuff there to stop it from crashing down. i was thinking of doing it without anything there.

you can also put a CLAMP on the strut shaft to hold it open if you're really afraid

won't this mess up the track?

the only problem with this is there is stuff there to stop it from crashing down. i was thinking of doing it without anything there.

won't this mess up the track?

my friend has a clamp for his truck's cap because the struts dont work anymore, basically its all plastic so it cant damage the rod, and thats what you need like maybe a slice a rubber under the clamp?

I guess the only way to figure this out is to play around with the shot ones. so when i'm home next i'll clamp one of the tracks to see what the deal is. i'm thinking i should probably clamp both because it may flex out and crack the glass..... i wonder if there is a heavy duty shock that could work.

justin

wel it sounds like you need new struts, so this is the time to play with clamps and see which will work

you can always get junkyard struts

OR you can take a dowel rod and cut it to the full open length so it hits the window and the door and then use REMOVABLE zip ties to hold it to the strut

This is a great way to get carbon monoxide poisoning. The open glass will create a suction effect. Along with all sorts of dirt/dust/light road debris, you will be sucking exhaust fumes into the cab. If you have, to accomodate cargo, it's kind of ok for a short distance, but absolutely do NOT do this as a full-time thing.

On top of the safety issue, there is the likelyhood of breaking the glass, as well as the fact that having that glass sticking up like that will cause an increase in aerodynamic drag, and a loss of fuel economy at highway speeds.

If you really must have more ventilation, then spend the money on a sunroof.

This is a great way to get carbon monoxide poisoning. The open glass will create a suction effect. Along with all sorts of dirt/dust/light road debris, you will be sucking exhaust fumes into the cab. If you have, to accomodate cargo, it's kind of ok for a short distance, but absolutely do NOT do this as a full-time thing.

On top of the safety issue, there is the likelyhood of breaking the glass, as well as the fact that having that glass sticking up like that will cause an increase in aerodynamic drag, and a loss of fuel economy at highway speeds.

If you really must have more ventilation, then spend the money on a sunroof.

arnt you mr sunshine

the CO idea is kinda moot as the other windows would likely be open

sometimes I wish the window would just roll down like a bronco

arnt you mr sunshine

the CO idea is kinda moot as the other windows would likely be open

sometimes I wish the window would just roll down like a bronco

Really? Reaallly???? I guess you don't have the slightest clue about aerodynamics. I'm not an expert or anything, but I understand the basics.

1st. If you don't believe me about the CO / exhaust fume issue, do some googling and/or research. It IS a well known FACT. Why? Well, that's where the aerodynamics comes in. The air does different things around the side windows, open or not, then at the back of the vehicle. As the air leaves the roof and/or rear sides of the vehicle, it creates "eddy currents" Think of them as little "whirlpools" in the air. As the air reaches the end of the vehicle, it "wants" to reattach itself to a surface. It tries to do this by curl inward and downward back towards the vehicle. If it encounters an open window there, it will enter, creating a suction effect. Since the exhaust exits at the rear, below the rear hatch glass, on Explorers, it will tend to draw that exhaust up and into the open window/cab. The other windows being open can actually make this worse. Again, but for a different reason, driving down the road at highway speeds tends to create a vacum that draws air OUT of the vehicle, and through the open window, more so than blowing outside air IN. Ever had papers,etc... pulled out of the car through an open window? This suction will then tend to pull that exhaust further up into the cab, from the rear cargo area, up towards the passengers.

Yes, the full-size bronco had a roll-down window in the gate. Ever notice the warning Ford put,near the gate itseld, as well as in the owners manual, stating that the rear gate glass was not to be open while the vehicle was in motion because it could draw exhaust fumes in?

Edit: Oh yeah, plus the fact that, unless you have some cargo sticking out, it looks pretty stupid driving around with that big rear glass sticking up.

on the old broncos you have a point, the air curling back around could cary CO, but if the windows are open then there will be air exiting the rear forcing the chanel outward.

furthermore on the explorer the window would act as a wing changing the force to curl in behind the opening, again with air flowing out the CO wouldnt get in

I wish I still had access to the combustion anylizers we had at work, one had a CO cell and could prove my claims

im not trying to make it a war, although as i re-read it did sound that way....

I kinda hope this is just an exchange of thoughts an theories.

I tried this long ago, but it would bounce all over every bump, and hard enough one it would slam shut:(

Maybe make some quick release things for it like a T-top:D

it's not that hard to remove... two bolts, a wire, and gas struts

This is a great way to get carbon monoxide poisoning. The open glass will create a suction effect. Along with all sorts of dirt/dust/light road debris, you will be sucking exhaust fumes into the cab.

carbon MONOXIDE! lol, ever heard of a catalytic converter?

also, to think the DRIVER is going to be drowning in air coming from the rear window is in fact, retarded. not tryin to be a D, but what you have said has zero merit.

you can run your car in your garage with all the windows and doors closed and it will never give you CO poisoning. again, catalytic converter. you would run out of oxygen and suffocate first.

oh and 4 runners come with electric rear windows that go down all the way.............

Wow...

I'd think having the rear glass fully open would be a bit obnoxious (not to mention look kinda weird) - that would allow a lot of air flow. However, I think having it open an inch or two would provide good airflow, plus it should eliminate any potential issues of exhaust fumes (in the event of improperly functioning cats). Since eddy currents occur around the rear edges of the vehicle and since there is net negative pressure at the rear compared to the front, having a smaller opening more toward the center of the vehicle should result in net flow out of the vehicle (making a more useful vent).

You could probably fab a folding support that could mount to the latch hump on the tailgate, that would actually "hang on" to the latch loop on the window to prevent movement when going over bumps.

Not a good idea on several different levels... First, exhaust gasses, carbon monoxide or otherwise, are not good for humans to inhale on a regular basis. At some speeds there may be more negative pressure at the side windows than at the rear, so theoretically at some speeds exhaust gasses could, in fact, be sucked back in through it. Whether or not this actually happens at any or all speeds and wind conditions is open to interpretation without some hard testing data. We can only assume this is, in fact, a possibility since the owner's manual warns, (page 57 of the 1997 manual happens to be open in front of me)
Make sure that the liftgate door and/or window are closed to prevent exhaust fumes from being drawn into the vehicle. This will also prevent cargo and passengers from falling out. If you must drive with the liftgate door or window open, keep the vents open so outside air comes into the vehicle.

The second issue is the issue of the window itself. It was not designed to be supported in that position against the air that hits it and rolls around it at speed. Idling around a parking lot on cruise night? It's probably fine. But the wind that'll buffet it at freeway speeds? Not good. Where does that line lie? Anybody's guess. It's going to put a tremendous amount of force on the glass, hinges, and the strut pivot points, none of which is going to do them any favors, and all of which could result in busted glass.

No, thanks, I'll stick to leaving it shut. I trust the engineers on this one.

you can run your car in your garage with all the windows and doors closed and it will never give you CO poisoning. again, catalytic converter. you would run out of oxygen and suffocate first.

Wanna try this and get back to us :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Carbon Monoxide will kill you.

It might not do it the first time, or the second time
BUT it's not expelled from the body very fast either, it will have cumulative effects.

It might take some time.

a catalytic convertor does NOT MEAN there is no Carbon Monoxide in your exhaust <---that's simply ludicrous at best and BAD INFORMATION in general.

Back