Rear Hatch Conversion Wiring Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch Conversion Wiring Questions

iheartbeams

Reaction score
City, State
laguna niguel
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 xlt
hey guys just swapped a 2001 hatch onto my 93 to match the 2001 front conversion i did. i got it from a junkyard in white, with tan interior to match(SCORE!!!!) but there was no key for it, no biggie i thought. I figured i would just splice the wires from the 93 to the 2001 hatch. the 2001 has a ton more wires than mine did. I matched the wires that matched the colors of the previous hatch but there are some extras. im trying to make it so my top brake light works again, and so that i can atleast lock the hatch by using the lock/unlock button in the cab. heres a list of the wires i matched and the ones that need matching cause it still wont do any of the things i want it to. :(

pink/orange-pink/orange
black-black
brown/blue-brown blue
pink-pink
white-white/red

now my explorer has 2 green wires coming out that need to go to something.
and the new hatch has a red wire that would go to something im assuming? so do i have it wrong somewhere?

the new hatch has a purple, a turquoise, a gray and gray black aswell. those match the wires from the stereo and im assuming since this new hatch has speakers that those go to the stereo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

schematics for my '91 should be similar to your '93

wiper motor plug (INSIDE LIFTGATE)
BK
BK/PK
R

ROUND CONNECTOR (LEFT SIDE)
PK/BK - LIFTGATE LOCK ACTUATOR
LG - HIGH MOUNT STOP LAMP
PK/O - LIFTGATE LOCK ACTUATOR

ROUND CONNECTOR (RIGHT)
R - WIPER MOTOR
GY/Y - WINDOW DEFROSTER
W - WIPER DISABLE SWITCH FOR DOOR GLASS

Small flat black connector from left side (3 wires)
BK/LB - LIFTGATE COURTESY LAMP SWITCH
LG/Y - LIFTGATE COURTESY LAMP SWITCH
BK - HIGH MOUNT STOP LAMP

scan0001.jpg

scan0003.jpg

Hope that helps. I'd like to know how you did your 2001 front end conversion!
The newer Ex's had intermittent rear wipers also I believe so you may encounter some extra wiring for that as well. You may have to try some before you find the one for "run only"

I agree!!! Pictures would be most excellent!

alright got it all together and it works and locks and everything! pretty pumped
heres the hatch
1016011701.jpg

here it is with its new hella 4000s up top, fiberglass hood, and new fiberglass fenders
0911011644-1.jpg

and heres a droop shot for fun
0909011359-1.jpg

I want to see what the droop shot looks like with a bigger jack. That is awesome.

What glass do you have on there?you got more pics?maybe of the rear glass panels and hood?

in the very last droop picture its a stock metal hood, with glassworks 4.5 inch flare which in my opinion is more like 3 inch flare. now i have glassworks custom baker glass. which is a 7 inch flat top fender. its about 500 plus tax and takes about 3 weeks to make. i also have a fiberwerx glass good, and fiberwerx 4 inch flare. i can try and get some more pics for ya! anything specific?

Back