• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch Door

72Fins1

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer Eddie
I've got a 91 Explorer that I need to replace the rear hatch door from a 94 Explorer. All I know is that removing the four hinge bolts and knocking the lift rods with a hammer will let it come loose but how do I deal with the wiring? Do I have to unplug the wiring from the wiper motor inside the door and pull the wiring out of the side of the door? And do I have to unbolt all the wires and unplug everything from the door for the rear defrost as well? If anybody could help out with this that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I havn't taken the hatch door off my explorer or Bronc. II. If I was going to, I would disconnect the wires before removing the door. Might be good for a funniest video trying to hold the door up and get the wires out at the same time. Sorry I am not much help, but bumping this to the top for you anyway. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thanks for the bump. I'm taking the door off the 91 because it won't shut correctly and it lets a lot of air in because of it, the wiper doesn't work and the door won't lock. It should be "fun" since the lift rods that hold the door up are shot as well so for now I have to use a piece of wood to hold it up.

If it was me, I'd just cut the wires in a convenient spot and splice the new ones on.

My 99 Mounty had a sprung hatch and would not close (the "locks" landed about an inch higher than the "posts") Wifey had the hatch open and backed into the garage. Brick wall won. The structure of the truck near the hinges had been deformed, which caused the hatch to misalign. There was no fix.

Thanks I might have to try that.

I had the same problem with the rear door. Fixed it by adjusting the hinges.

Back