Rear Hatch / Liftgate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch / Liftgate

JIL531

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Limite
I have a '16 Explorer Limited, and have experienced some weird things with the back hatch door, but cannot pinpoint what is going on. It seems to want to go up on its own, and sometimes down (while we are standing under it). The dealership has told me that this Ex does NOT have the kick release, and I have tried many times to attempt to use the kick release (just in case), and I can't ever get it to open (so I do not believe I have that option).

I have learned, that you cannot lock the vehicle, and then shut the hatch. That pops the hatch back open (is this normal?). Today, my vehicle was remote started (and locked). I walked behind the vehicle with the remote in my hand, and by the time I got to the driver door, the hatch was opening.
I attempted to re-create this a 2nd time after getting back to work. Locked the vehicle, walked behind and kicked under it -- nothing. Turned to walk back to the drivers side, and it seems as soon as I get around the rear driver corner of the vehicle, the hatch popped open.

I haven't had any luck recreating when the hatch closes on us -- this one bothers me more, as it is quite dangerous!

Can anyone help with the logic behind this -- or what am I obviously missing (besiders it being haunted)??

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a '16 Explorer Limited, and have experienced some weird things with the back hatch door, but cannot pinpoint what is going on. It seems to want to go up on its own, and sometimes down (while we are standing under it). The dealership has told me that this Ex does NOT have the kick release, and I have tried many times to attempt to use the kick release (just in case), and I can't ever get it to open (so I do not believe I have that option).

I have learned, that you cannot lock the vehicle, and then shut the hatch. That pops the hatch back open (is this normal?). Today, my vehicle was remote started (and locked). I walked behind the vehicle with the remote in my hand, and by the time I got to the driver door, the hatch was opening.
I attempted to re-create this a 2nd time after getting back to work. Locked the vehicle, walked behind and kicked under it -- nothing. Turned to walk back to the drivers side, and it seems as soon as I get around the rear driver corner of the vehicle, the hatch popped open.

I haven't had any luck recreating when the hatch closes on us -- this one bothers me more, as it is quite dangerous!

Can anyone help with the logic behind this -- or what am I obviously missing (besiders it being haunted)??

Thanks!
I have very similar issues. I honestly don't know if my '16 Limited is supposed to have the "kick-open/closed" option either (I'm thinking all Limited's have that but that might be very wrong - but I'd think if you have the remote hatch that the kick option would be included) but whether it's supposed to have it or not, it does. Personally, I think it's a PIA. You have to be standing in JUST the right place (about behind the 2nd back-up sensor from the right side) and, while I'm pretty good at opening it accidentally, I'm even BETTER at CLOSING it accidentally! Good thing it has Obstacle Detection or I'd be cut into two, lower half in the grocery store parking lot and upper half inside the hatch! I've accidentally closed it on myself several times while putting groceries in or removing them.

Personally, when I very first saw the ads for this option I thought it was just a fad. Honestly, how often are your hands THAT full that you can't remote-open the hatch? Or push the button. I've stood back there waving my foot around, just messing, trying to make it work. Sometimes yes, usually no. I actually think I'm going to disable that option - I think I saw the setting on the drivers left LED screen under Settings or some tab. I'm sure some people absolutely love it - to me, it's totally worthless. Just plan ahead and have the door already open.

According to the 2016 brochure the hands free foot activitated liftgate comes standard on the Limited trim.

I think you're supposed to move your foot under the bumper in a more straight kick fashion. The dealer told us that it does not respond to a waving motion.

I have better luck with the waving motion.

My liftgate is also malfunctioning, and I blame the foot-wave feature. I need to talk to my dealer sometime about it soon.

According to the 2016 brochure the hands free foot activitated liftgate comes standard on the Limited trim.

I think you're supposed to move your foot under the bumper in a more straight kick fashion. The dealer told us that it does not respond to a waving motion.
Thanks for checking the brochure - I asked Ford to send me one for 2016 and they sent 2017. WRONG! So yes, that's what I thought, Limited has it included.

But trust me, I've tried every movement I can without falling on my ass! I wonder how many people have bruised shins from kicking too far and hitting the bumper!!

I need to have someone videotape me while I load/unload groceries so I can find out exactly what it is I'm doing when the hatch is coming down on me! And honestly, the 3 chimes it gives aren't very loud!

My dealer keeps telling me I do not have it. And I have NEVER been able to get it open, doesn't matter if I kick or swipe. Seems to only work when I am walking by with the FOB in my hand, NOT wanting it to open. LOL! It is going in for an oil change tomorrow - I may have them check into it further.

My dealer keeps telling me I do not have it. And I have NEVER been able to get it open, doesn't matter if I kick or swipe. Seems to only work when I am walking by with the FOB in my hand, NOT wanting it to open. LOL! It is going in for an oil change tomorrow - I may have them check into it further.
AHA!! I found the answer thanks to bdginmo posting the link to the brochure. Yes, for the liftgate to work with the kick option, you MUST have the FOB with you. And I guess that would make perfect sense. Oh, and yes, it IS included standard with the Limited.

on my 16 Sport, I basically have to "kick" the Spare Tire well and the hatch opens and closes.

When washing your vehicle, make sure you do not have your keys near the car. The hatch will open with the water spray....

on my 16 Sport, I basically have to "kick" the Spare Tire well and the hatch opens and closes.

When washing your vehicle, make sure you do not have your keys near the car. The hatch will open with the water spray....
HAHAHA, Never thought about that!

As well the doors will continually lock/unlock when washing the door area if you have the fob with you. Haven't had that issue with the liftgate. It hasn't opened when washing the vehicle.
Peter

......I have learned, that you cannot lock the vehicle, and then shut the hatch. That pops the hatch back open (is this normal?). Today, my vehicle was remote started (and locked). I walked behind the vehicle with the remote in my hand, and by the time I got to the driver door, the hatch was opening.
No, this is not normal unless it differs from my Platinum. I tried it on mine and the hatch closed and locked. It did not open. I also had a 2011 Limited and a 2014 MKT and neither of them had the issue of the liftgate opening either when closed after the doors were locked.

Peter

The liftgate should NOT open when simply walking by the back end. A distinct kicking motion is required to open and close it. There is a TSB on this issue for 2016 models without the tow package. http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/page-2#post-3561782

Peter
A TSB?! Look at that! I disconnected my hands free liftgate sensor years ago. If there was a professional communication method used by Ford to communicate these things to owners, I may have gotten it resolved under warranty. But, I was never informed about it. Even after letting dealer know about the sensitivity.

A TSB?! Look at that! I disconnected my hands free liftgate sensor years ago. If there was a professional communication method used by Ford to communicate these things to owners, I may have gotten it resolved under warranty. But, I was never informed about it. Even after letting dealer know about the sensitivity.
Maybe if the dealer made a note in their records, they could still get ford to do the TSB since it was under warranty when you told them about it.

A TSB is usually an advisory notification to the dealership and unlike a recall, is normally not sent to vehicle owners. When an affected vehicle is brought in for service, the service department will usually inform the customer about the TSB or if the owner asks about the problem. Most of us here find out about them through posts to the Forum and then are usually added to our list of TSB's. The TSB involved here was posted August 2016 and mentioned in this thread February 2017. They may also show up on your account.

Peter

In the time I owned my Explorer, never once did that liftgate resemble reliability. I finally had to disable it manually using as-built data. Sensors, software, nothing fixed it.

I'm hoping the TSB helps you (should you decide to re-enable and retry), but don't be entirely surprised if it doesn't.

Back