• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch Question - 2008 XLT

nramacciato

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
Hi there, first post here on the forums.

We have an 08 XLT in the White Sand color, I believe. It has a bit of damage, but I believe our worst damage is in the rear hatch, where there's a massive dent. It happened while my brother was moving the ex, and he made a mistake and misjudged on a few things.

Attached are the pictures of the rear hatch.. but here's my question: How can we properly fix this? Can we take off the panel in the interior somehow and get the dent out with a hammer or something? I really love this truck, so does my dad, and I just want to make it look better.

FIrrTPd.jpg

p9085vx.jpg

Unfortunately the only way to fix that damage and have it look exactly the same is to just get another off a junk yard vehicle and paint to match. The issue is how the rear hatch pieces are stamped before they are rolled and spot welded together which means that there is no way to get it pulled back out and make it look correct without a lot of bondo repair and sanding before repainting. Easiest is to get a clean rear hatch from a local pick a part and paint to match and then put all your trim pieces and glass back on it.

Unfortunately the only way to fix that damage and have it look exactly the same is to just get another off a junk yard vehicle and paint to match. The issue is how the rear hatch pieces are stamped before they are rolled and spot welded together which means that there is no way to get it pulled back out and make it look correct without a lot of bondo repair and sanding before repainting. Easiest is to get a clean rear hatch from a local pick a part and paint to match and then put all your trim pieces and glass back on it.

Fair enough, I doubt we'd have any luck finding a similar hatch in a junkyard around here. If we did, I assume we'd have to go to a Ford dealer to get it resprayed, if they even do that.. Thank you for the info, though.

Back