• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch rattle

dxgmmpa

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Ford Explorer limited
My rear hatch rattles in my 06 Explorer Limited. It isn't terribly bad and it is after all a truck but I would like to know if it is a common issue that others have noticed? It is a very heavy hatch. Does it have any alignment points or adjustments to the latch or hinges or perhaps softer replacement or adjustable rubber feet that could make it move less against the seat? I read the one thread were someone taped foam to the inside of the hatch. They had pictures. It looked like hell. I will turn up my radio before I will do this to my truck.

My 06 was rattling also, it was the black plastic stops with the springs inside. I fixed it with small peices of foam stuck to them.
That lasted about 2 months, took them off and smeared white grease on them. Very quite now.

Check the plastic sleeve on your strikers. They might be worn and need replaced (causing a slight amount of slack for the TG to rattle). Thats what it was on my '94.

After closer inspection Davidm53's solution of greasing the black plastic stops with the springs inside on the hatch and I also cleaned and greased the plastic striker plate on the jamb as an added step. This seems to have worked. Thanks for the reply. It was helpful.

Back