• Register Today It's free!

rear hatch refuses to open

avtinwi

Reaction score
City, State
West Bend WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Got a 1995 XLT with 210k miles that absolutely refuses to die. The major issue that I have at this point is that the rear hatch refuses to open. I know the lock is opening and closing-I can clearly see that-but the outside handle is impossible to turn. It feels as if it is rusted shut, if that can be true. Any ideas on how to get this working again, outside of taking it to a local mechanic and having a new latch mechanism put in? (FYI-I already had to do that with the hood latch assembly-320 and that was at a Goodyear dealer-egads). Any advice I can get would absolutely rock. Thanks.

PJ

:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got a 1995 XLT with 210k miles that absolutely refuses to die. The major issue that I have at this point is that the rear hatch refuses to open. I know the lock is opening and closing-I can clearly see that-but the outside handle is impossible to turn. It feels as if it is rusted shut, if that can be true. Any ideas on how to get this working again, outside of taking it to a local mechanic and having a new latch mechanism put in? (FYI-I already had to do that with the hood latch assembly-320 and that was at a Goodyear dealer-egads). Any advice I can get would absolutely rock. Thanks.

PJ

:exp:

If it's the handle that refuses to turn, try spraying some WD40 in the hole between the handle and the actual trunk.
If that doesn't work, you can take the trunk panel off and try it out.. Not very easy from the inside, but better than going to a dealer.

i just when thru this on a 2000 i recently purchased. my problem was that the handle had become disconnected from the rod that releases the latches. i don't know if the '95 uses the same mechanisum, but i can tell you how i checked the handle and how i got the lift-gate open to fix the rod.

"Got a 1995 XLT with 210k miles that absolutely refuses to die."

boy, ever heard of the term temping fate?

If it's the handle that refuses to turn, try spraying some WD40 in the hole between the handle and the actual trunk.
If that doesn't work, you can take the trunk panel off and try it out.. Not very easy from the inside, but better than going to a dealer.

We're having the same problem with a 95 EX. We got no love with the WD40, Hubby is as we speak prying the trim off the inside in hopes of finding the answer that way. It is looking like we're going to have to order a new outer door handle or something , Will look for the mysterious yellow clip or rusted spring as was mentioned in other threads as well.

what you're probably gonna find is that the yellow clip broke off. $3.50 at Ford. i managed to open the hatch without removing the trim. it may be possible to remove the trim with the hatch closed, but i didn't like that option. once it's open, the trim is easy to remove. once you get the trim off and the weather shield out of the way you'll be able to get at everything to lube and repair the problem.

Not a clip. The 2000 does not use the same type of mechanism as the 1991-1997. The handle freezes, and the only good solution is to replace the handle. It simply turns and depending on the direction, either triggers a rod to move the release for the hatch or the glass.

They're easy to replace, you can pull the rear panel off with the door closed, just remember that the bottom portion of the trim slides up, don't pull it straight back or it will break the clips. They are an L-shape and once the top is free, the whole panel slides towards the top of the tailgate to remove it. There is also a screw under the lock indicator and obviously the handle and the push-pins holding the top portion on as well.

If you look at THIS POST, it is very similar. The one shown has clips molded to the top of the panel vs. the push-pin fasteners on yours, but the bottom L-shaped clips are the same, so you can see what's in there.

They are easy to replace, I've used these handles before: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tailgat...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Rear hatch lock

I've got an 84 Bronco II I just picked up and the previous owner had completely removed the rear lock and handle assembly because it had broken but he threw in a used set to replace it. The only problem is it looks like there's parts missing and I can't figure out how it's supposed to go back together. Is there anywhere I can download a parts breakdown so I can tell what's missing?

Thanks

Back