• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

rear hatch release from interior

rev_marcus

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU 3.5l
Part of the reason that I purchased this vehicle is because I plan on car camping on the interior and wanted a little bit more room. I'm 99% sure that I do not have a power hatch and the only way that I can figure out to release the rear hatch from the interior on my 2015 PI you is to basically grab the end of the cable running to the keyed lock. I am debating on installing an additional switch on the interior but before I do that does anybody know whether or not it would be possible to enable the power hatch button on the key fob to cause the hatch to release? ( I have the five button key fob for remote start) Thanks Guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I recall this coming up before but I am not able to locate the post. If I recall, the member said there was a small panel on the inside that you take off to allow you to unlock the 'gate' from the inside. I can't recall if it just pops off or is screwed on. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures showing the interior view of the 'gate' nor do I have an Explorer any longer.

Peter

rev_marcus

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU 3.5l
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I recall this coming up before but I am not able to locate the post. If I recall, the member said there was a small panel on the inside that you take off to allow you to unlock the 'gate' from the inside. I can't recall if it just pops off or is screwed on. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures showing the interior view of the 'gate' nor do I have an Explorer any longer.

Peter
Thank you for the reply, the little panel is pretty readily accessible, but I pulled off the surrounding plastic and it appears that at least on my version of the PIU the lever that would normally be there is not and the only way I can figure out how to realease it is by pressing on the cable the runs from the key release and it is not only inconvenient but a bit painful with the plastic on and the hatch closed. :(

KayGee

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
The hatch button on the remote is just a lock/unlock, not a latch release.

The outside latch release is just a push button. Why not add a similar button to the inside? You would still need to unlock from the remote and then just hit the button and push the hatch open.

I don't think I've had an SUV that had an interior release like a sedan with a trunk emergency release as there isn't any other way out of a trunk unlike the back of an suv which is easy to get out of the rear doors.

If you are going to car camp, you will probably want to make up a level floor for the rear. I'm not sure the seat backs or the cargo cover will take the weight of a person or two moving around back there. A buddy of mine that has a retail explorer made a 2 piece load floor from the front seats to the hatch out of some 2x4s and 1/2 or 3/4 " plywood. It's 2 pieces so it's easier to put in and take out.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B BCM code to allow rear hatch entry? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 18
Dre Solved Rear stabilizer bar bushing Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
Adam Janowski wheel bearings (rear) Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 2
T 2013 PIU rear end sway Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 6
K YES, you can install rear headrests in a PIU Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 11
K Rear AC controls Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
K 2016 rear door locks Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
A 2013 Utility Wiring help, rear tail light brake lights Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
T Rear seat headrest guide for 2013/4 police interceptor Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 8
D Ford Flex rear seats installed, need help finding 1 part Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 9
F Rear door panel pockets Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
T Rear seat head restraints deal breaker? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 6
L '14 PIU - Installing a rear backup cam with existing display Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 5
E Will 2016/17 Rear Spoiler Fits ‘13 PIU? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 0
E Rear Spoiler Strobe? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 0
K Rear exhaust manifold replacement Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
2 2013 PIU rear window and steering wheel controls (experienced owners needed) Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 21
K Reconnecting rear window switches... oops Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 2
C Part number for PIU control panel with rear HVAC & CD player Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 2
T replacing rear door speaker grills Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 35
S Rear A/C controls on 2016 + Interceptor? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
P How do I get Rear Windows to go up and down Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 23
P Rear view Camera Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
M Rear Vault Drivers side Cargo area Installation Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
B New 2020 feature- Rear Camera On Demand Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 0
Eric Z Foam removal from rear of PIU Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 23
K Rear view mirror backup camera questions Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 10
Trader0000 Rear Camera Update Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
B Recall 17G01 - rear suspension / toe link Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 0
Eric Z PIU rear "toe-link" recall for 2014-2015 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
Trader0000 Rear Door Speaker Holes Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 18
K 2015 PIU rear window switchs Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 5
K Adding rear hvac . How involved?? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 16
K Any instructions for PIU auxiliary air conditioning (rear air/heat) Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
S Rear Air Control PIU? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 16
T Does the PIU have additional bracing under the rear seats? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 8
K Does anyone know how the rear door power window delete option works? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
B 2013 Interceptor Utility - flickering rear lights Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 13
U Police Utility with Inoperable Inside Rear Door Handles? Read this... Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 12
N 2013 PIU - Undoing Rear Door Handle Disable & Install Rear Lock Rods Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 10
F Police interceptor rear ended at highway speeds Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 6
J Interceptor Hatch Switch/reverse cam Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 9