• Register Today It's free!

rear hatch release from interior

rev_marcus

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU 3.5l
Part of the reason that I purchased this vehicle is because I plan on car camping on the interior and wanted a little bit more room. I'm 99% sure that I do not have a power hatch and the only way that I can figure out to release the rear hatch from the interior on my 2015 PI you is to basically grab the end of the cable running to the keyed lock. I am debating on installing an additional switch on the interior but before I do that does anybody know whether or not it would be possible to enable the power hatch button on the key fob to cause the hatch to release? ( I have the five button key fob for remote start) Thanks Guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I recall this coming up before but I am not able to locate the post. If I recall, the member said there was a small panel on the inside that you take off to allow you to unlock the 'gate' from the inside. I can't recall if it just pops off or is screwed on. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures showing the interior view of the 'gate' nor do I have an Explorer any longer.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I recall this coming up before but I am not able to locate the post. If I recall, the member said there was a small panel on the inside that you take off to allow you to unlock the 'gate' from the inside. I can't recall if it just pops off or is screwed on. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures showing the interior view of the 'gate' nor do I have an Explorer any longer.

Peter

Thank you for the reply, the little panel is pretty readily accessible, but I pulled off the surrounding plastic and it appears that at least on my version of the PIU the lever that would normally be there is not and the only way I can figure out how to realease it is by pressing on the cable the runs from the key release and it is not only inconvenient but a bit painful with the plastic on and the hatch closed. :(

The hatch button on the remote is just a lock/unlock, not a latch release.

The outside latch release is just a push button. Why not add a similar button to the inside? You would still need to unlock from the remote and then just hit the button and push the hatch open.

I don't think I've had an SUV that had an interior release like a sedan with a trunk emergency release as there isn't any other way out of a trunk unlike the back of an suv which is easy to get out of the rear doors.

If you are going to car camp, you will probably want to make up a level floor for the rear. I'm not sure the seat backs or the cargo cover will take the weight of a person or two moving around back there. A buddy of mine that has a retail explorer made a 2 piece load floor from the front seats to the hatch out of some 2x4s and 1/2 or 3/4 " plywood. It's 2 pieces so it's easier to put in and take out.

Back