• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch/Window Problem

MDmounty

Reaction score
City, State
Preston, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty V8
I've got a '00 mountaineer and my rear hatch and rear window have trouble opening. A good 95% of the time when I try and open either one, I can pull the handle or press the button in and it won't do anything just like it's locked. The only way I can get either one of them to open is to lock and unlock the truck quite a few times then it works. Any help would be great because I do use it quite a bit. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like you have a weak lock actuator on your lift-gate. one of my trucks (2000 Explorer) has a similar problem. I have a replacement actuator, but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. the job is a bit of a PITA as you pretty much need to take the whole lift-gate apart to replace the actuator.

sounds like you have a weak lock actuator on your lift-gate. one of my trucks (2000 Explorer) has a similar problem. I have a replacement actuator, but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. the job is a bit of a PITA as you pretty much need to take the whole lift-gate apart to replace the actuator.

^+1 on the PITA. I had to do the rear hatch lock actuator last year. RA has them fairly reasonable but you have to remove the rear hatch inside trim piece (its one whole panel.) Also you have to be able to get your hand/arm down and through the hatch to get access. ALSO, I had to do it from the inside.. had to climb in through the back door with the rear hatch closed and work from the cargo area. I'm 6ft+ and 200lbs+ ... it was not fun but I got it done.

Thanks hopefully I don't have as much trouble as you did to change it I'm just glad it's something I can fix at home

Thanks hopefully I don't have as much trouble as you did to change it I'm just glad it's something I can fix at home

Oh, you will have as much trouble changing the actuator. The problem is that the rod coming out of it has a hook on the end, which can't be unhooked unless you remove the entire latch mechanism. It can be done, but it's a PITA, that's why I'm in no hurry to change mine.

I can't remember if that has the yellow door clips but just another thought. Curious as to whether the key works.

I can't remember if that has the yellow door clips but just another thought. Curious as to whether the key works.

on mine the key works fine. if the key doesn't lock/unlock the window and latch (but turns) the little plastic finger is broken on the lock. there is no yellow clip on the rear lock actuator rod. just a hook. if it had one of those yellow clips it would be an easy job.

Koda it's been a heck of a long time ago, but I vaguely remember having to get in there for some reason.... Think I just lubed everything and got it working. So long ago I couldn't remember about the clips.

Koda it's been a heck of a long time ago, but I vaguely remember having to get in there for some reason.... Think I just lubed everything and got it working. So long ago I couldn't remember about the clips.

Well, it never hurts to try lubing stuff, and there's plenty of stuff to lube in the lift-gate. OP can try that first, but the actuator doesn't really move a lot of stuff. Just one pivot point and the finger on the lock housing.

Thanks guys I'll take a look at it and see what I can do, I'll probably knock it out one weekend or something

Back