Rear Hatch Works, Somewhat, Any Ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Hatch Works, Somewhat, Any Ideas?

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
So, I bought a 2001 Eddie Bauer in June, 4.0, and the hatch didn't open from the outside, to open it, you opened the glass, reached behind a broken panel, and worked the assembly to open it, and generally, it was simple to open, Well, I got a panel from the junkyard, and took the clip from the hatch on my 99, and took the busted one off, only to discover the arm going to the outside handle wasn't connected, and the actuator said May of 2007, so I connected it, now we have the issue. The power door lock inside the hatch didn't work, but if you unlock the glass, after 5 or 6 pulls of the handle with steady pressure on the hatch, it'll open, the handle feels very loose, like it's always locked, but when you unlock the glass, the actuator visibly unlocks, I watched it all with the panel off. Any ideas? I'm somewhat at a loss, I lubed all the linkages and it seemed to help some, but it's far from right, and it's a PITA to deal with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might need to replace the actuator with one for the correct year, but the lock for the rear window and lift-gate is a pretty cheesy affair. All the rods in the lift-gate are easily adjustable by moving the yellow clips on one direction or the other. It sounds like your lift-gate handle rod is out of adjustment.

BTW, If you do need to replace the lift-gate lock actuator you have to remove the entire center bracket from inside the lift-gate because the actuator will not unhook from the latch otherwise. While everything is apart take a look at the button latch to see how the lock function works and you'll see what I mean by "cheesy").

Tip: Use tape to mark the location of any clips on the rods that working correctly if you have to remove the clips to do whatever you're doing.

Yeah I had something similar going on for a while with my hatch. I could open it by hand but it was jacked up and eventually stopped closing all together. The inner workings of those things are very finicky and will easily mess up. I said the hell with that, I went to the junkyard and pulled and good working hatch off a vehicle. I got lucky it was the same color. And threw it on. It needed a slight adjustment but was easy enough and I did it by myself just needed a ladder. Ill add a link. What I did was the easy to fix the problem. I threw a part at it and it worked.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-mounteer-and-gen-2-explorer-the-same.449817/

Hope this helps.

That's what I thought, and yeah I've seen what you mean by it being cheesy, and I doubt most 2nd gens have working hatches, because in my 99, the manual lock didn't unlock the hatch, but the 01 will let you do that, so that's interesting. I actually have been seeing one that's crossed my mind on a 99 EB that's light green like mine, so I have a fall back if I fail to get this one where it works presentably. SupaSwope, yours is actually the same color as mine, I think this light green is common, very common, I see tons of them, I like the way it cleans up though, I keep mine detailed and it's a nice easy to maintain color.

I hardly ever see the green here in Florida. There was only that one at the junkyard and even fewer around town. I'm pretty sure the green we have has the little flakes and was an extra.

Here's a picture of the lock button. It's a bit blurry, but I colored the tip of square locking peg, seen at about the 11 o'clock position, orange. It's plastic and simply rotates to lock the window and lift-gate. Sometimes the square peg will break off and then no more locking. All the lift-gate lock actuator (or the key) does is to rotate the plastic piece with the peg on it to lock/unlock the button.

111_0056_zps6f0kduxd.jpg

That's just a flat out bad design IMO, probably explains the sheer number of these cars that have had the hatches swapped out. The doors aren't a strong point on 2nd gens IMO, see way too many that either open from the inside only, outside only, or not at all for any reason.

As for the green, my 01 is Green/Tan, which I didn't like really when I bought it, but a good bath, clay bar, and wax has a way of changing that. I've seen four on CL in that color combo, one that was light green in general, 2 at the JY, and a good many on the salvage sales for SC, which I guess it depends on which dealers and what they preferred. As for the flakes, I didn't know there was an option for such on Explorers.

Yeah I understand. I am only speaking from my own personal experiences here in the local area.

So I'm going through updating my threads, and as such, I got this sorted, readjusted the rods going to both latches and the problem went away, the one going to the handle was fine.

I just picked up a2000 xlt on trade and neither glass or door opens. how do I get open? Have tried using key but nothing. linkage issue

@koda2000 Didn't you tell me you knew how to get one open if the hatch is stuck closed?

Yup, see it now, I've always wished somebody would link the replacement yellow clips, I just gutted a caved in hatch at the JY for my spares, since the one in the 99 involves being opened with the tractor.

Back