Rear headrests on '02 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear headrests on '02 Explorer Sport

CdnBlueStreak

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB - Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer Sport
Hi everyone,

The headrests on the rear seats are giving me issues. Any simple way to remove or lower them?

Mine are stuck (literally) and one is even in backwards, yet I reamed on them like mad and they still won't go all the way down, or come off completely.

Any ideas on what I can do, short of using a hacksaw?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone,

The headrests on the rear seats are giving me issues. Any simple way to remove or lower them?

Mine are stuck (literally) and one is even in backwards, yet I reamed on them like mad and they still won't go all the way down, or come off completely.

Any ideas on what I can do, short of using a hacksaw?

I'd love to know the answer to this too. I too have an 02 Sport, and it's fairly low miles... and both headrests are stuck too... (luckily not backwards).

Well, decided to beat the crap our of the headrests till they go down. Worked for 1 of them, but the other is still backwards.

I'm gonna try to biggest pry bar I can find to get it loose, then karate ckop it till it comes out... lol.

Well, decided to beat the crap our of the headrests till they go down. Worked for 1 of them, but the other is still backwards.

I'm gonna try to biggest pry bar I can find to get it loose, then karate ckop it till it comes out... lol.

HAHAHAH!!!... don't know if this is as funny as it should be, but it could be because I'm somewhat drunk. I'd realy like to figure out how to get them to go down too. I have one that's all the way up, and the other that's all the way own. I can't figure it out. I'm thinking maybe some penetrating oil might do the trick... but it's hard not getting it all over the place.

Let me know how the crowbar works out for you... I'm still watching this thread.

It's probably easier to do it when your half-cut... lol.

All I did was hammer the top of the headrest with my fists until it went down. Then, because I'm an idiot, decided to see if it would come again... it did, and got stuck again... so I had to hammer them down a second time.

Back