• Register Today It's free!

Rear Heater Core

bizzs

Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonia Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Can anyone provide a link, or information removing and replacing the rear heater core above the driver side rear tire on a 2002 to 2004 Explorer? Any help is appreciated with disassembling the interior without damaging. I have a serious coolant leak at the heater core stem and the new core should arrive tomorrow.

Thanks
bizzs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've not disassembled the system, but have gained access to it.
Most plastic panels in our cars simply "pop" off.

You'll need a large torx bit to remove the drivers side rear (second row,) lower seat belt mount.
The plastic trim (where the same seat belt goes through up top) needs to come off as well. Pull it up and out.
The big rear trim piece just pops off as well. Just a little force.

With most trim pieces, find an edge where you can grab and start tugging on it. You'll figure out its natural direction it wants to come off.

Thanks for the video all. I got it all torn apart, but I am baffled on how to get the heater core out of the plastic housing without disconnecting the air-conditioning evaporator. There are about 6 screws on a small cover that is on top of the plastic housing. I Removed that small cover and the evaporator was exposed, but it cannot be removed because the r123a will drain. I do not see any other screws to separate the plastic housing apart to get to the core. Any input?

Thanks
bizzs

After careful review of the situation, I could not determine how to remove the heater core box housing without disconnecting the AC. I traced the leak and it was coming from one of the heater core stems. I used a small pipe cutter and cut a portion of the stem off. I attached a heater hose to this stem and double clamped it. (Minimal room to move hands.) I ran the new line out to the aluminum line near the frame and clamped that too. So far the repair is working and no leaks detected using my pressure tester.

Obviously since there is no posted information about the rear heater core, one must assume that this is not a common problem. I am hoping in the future that someone will chime in and write a post. My curiosity is getting the best of me. (lol)

One thing that I did find was a bad actuator in the rear that I never noticed in the 12 years that I have owned this truck. IMAGINE THAT!! I replaced this too and everything is good to go.

Thanks everyone for the informative articles and links!!

Bizzs I

Back