Rear left turn signal. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear left turn signal.

Alex from GA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer
2003 Explorer Sport Track. Everything else works except the rear left turn signal. Grounds are good. Wires change colors from front to rear so it's hard to trace. A wiring diagram of the truck would be very helpful or just the color change from the turn signal switch to the rear. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure of its the same but if you look in @J_C signature he has the wiring diags for a 98. the ST is quite similiar to the 2nd gen 4dr X so wonder if its similiar?

Here's my sig. link below. ;)

These diagrams are for 2nd gen in general, don't remember if they were specified for any particular model year. I do have the Helm's diagrams specific to a '99 2nd gen. I don't think I ever linked those in this forum, here is one source for them, all in a single PDF:

After tracing continuity from the multi-function switch wire to the rear bulb socket (though you'd need extra long multimeter leads), I'd suspect the multi-function switch itself, which after enough time, the grease hardens and the copper contacts corrode. They can be opened and cleaned but aren't too expensive for aftermarket replacement.

Also sometimes the wires in the connector to the MFS can come out the back of the connector. People sometimes use hot glue or epoxy to secure them in place.

Also I don't recall who made the following PDF (or might have been a post that I converted??) so can't give them credit, but I do have this PDF for an '03 Sport Trac about the steering column MFS wiring and there's a forum link or two in it. I don't mean to steer you down the wrong path, this is just one possibility,

Attachments

• steering_column_wiring_repair_gen1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 71

Easiest way to diagnose a loose MFS connector in the steering column linked in post #4 is tilt the steering column all the way UP. Move the wheel all the way up and down several times leaving it all the way up. If the signal works properly with the column up you have have the MFS connector problem. Very common issue with 2001-03 Sport Tracs and two door Sports where the factory wiring was too short. Give it a try before opening up your steering column. GL

2003 Explorer Sport Track. Everything else works except the rear left turn signal. Grounds are good. Wires change colors from front to rear so it's hard to trace. A wiring diagram of the truck would be very helpful or just the color change from the turn signal switch to the rear. Thanks in advance.
This is what I found when this exact thing happened to me (2001 Sport) . I had replaced the left steering column stalk and the connector lock-tab broke so the two pieces didn't mate securely. When a friend got in to drive he adjusted the steering angle which partially pulled the connector apart and the left tailight quit. I re-secured the connection and the tailight started working again. Go figure !

The left rear turn signal wasn't working on my 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. A pebble had gotten under the drivers floor mat and into the wire bundle under the drivers left foot, rubbed against the wire and eventually cut the wire. I spliced in a new piece of wire to fix it. Found this after hours of troubleshooting using the Ford 2007 Explorer Sport Trac Wiring Diagrams Manual. The wire colours were GY-BN (Grey Brown) for the left rear turn signal and VT-OG (Violet Orange) for the right rear turn signal, same colours all the way from the Smart Junction Box where they begin to the left and rear tail lights where they end. The wires for the left rear turn signal and the right rear turn signal were right beside each other in the wire bundles and on adjacent pins in the connectors. Connector C2280A on the Smart Junction Box behind the left hand end of the instrument panel. Connector C3052 on the underside of the truck under the front passenger seat. Connector C405 behind the right hand end of the rear bumper. Then they split to go to the left and rear tail lights. Good Luck!

Back