Rear Lift Gate (upper one) Plastic broke in half | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Lift Gate (upper one) Plastic broke in half

ATL_Mounty

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer V8
I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and how they fixed it. The piece that broke is the outer plastic cover on the upper lift gate. (where the mercury or ford emblem is) It started as a small crack and over time the crack has spread, now its cracked in half all the way. Do I have to replace the whole upper lift gate or just the outer part? I would include a pic but don't know how to paste it in here....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is cracked and I have seen 6-8 others around here that are cracked as well. Welcome to the "crack" club! I talked to a dealer about this and they said I would have to pay $400 dollars to get it fixed. I am going to do some shopping around for better prices. Sorry to hear and I know, it sucks.

no recall yet. I know a few of us are pushing for a class action law suit. just be carefull that gives the rear glass a little support. don't slam the rear window or force it up at all. it will break the glass. be careful if its low milage take it back to the dealer I think its under 60k miles

Yeah I have over 60K miles in it more like 92K. So I think its out of the warenty period. Would it be cheaper to find another used one in a junk yard or just bondo it and paint it? I am afraid to bondo it, because it will most likely crack more I think. Are the the Explorer upper gates the same as the Mountaineer ones? I really don't care which one I can find(as long as it doesn't have the darn crack) cause I will shave all the emblems off anyway for a clean look. Anyone know a good junk yard to look at in the Atlanta area besides the phone book. Ford should have recalled this part it was obviously not designed right if so many of them are breaking. But what do you expect form Ford....

I do not recomend bondo-ing it I would get a replacement from the dealer, also, are you sure there is not a recall for it? I thought the 02 was recalled but no other years were?

(A dumb question I know) Where should I check for a recall just call the dealership or could I find it on the web? Thanks again for all the help this site is awesome for all the support everyone supplies!!!!!

the recall was on the 2002 rear hinges that's it. they put too much resistance on the glass and would break it. I picked up a rear glass hatch off a explorer in a junk yard 500 bucks. that's your best bet. I just took off the for emblem and did a little bondo. really easy to smooth out and I don't do body work. still waiting for paint tho

It seems to be a very common issue. A pain to fix. The new piece comes in a primer color and needs to be painted by a body shop to match your color. I am not sure, but I think it is about a 2 hour job not including the paint work.

The Ford part number is: 1L27-78402A30-CAPTM

Just in case you need it.

Also, its just a fascia plate, I have a spare just in case mine cracks, I think it was like $85 from the dealer, and paint was $50. Not really a big deal.

"Also, its just a fascia plate, I have a spare just in case mine cracks, I think it was like $85 from the dealer, and paint was $50. Not really a big deal."

Which dealer did you use?

I just spoke to my local Ford Dealer last week.

Hello. I just spoke to my local Ford Dealership and they told me that all 2002-2005's had a service bulletin, but not a recall. And, yes they told me $400 as well. The service manager said that it is not a question as to "if" they will crack but "when". I use my rear hatch on my 2004 Mountaineer extensively and mine too started cracking two months ago and now is completely cracked from top to bottom. It is ridiculous that they would not recall this. I have a window graphic for my business on the back window so I am looking at more like $600.00. Bummer.

Pat

The dealership quoted me 142.58 for the part. Not to bad I wonder how hard it is to change. (if I could do it myself) And he said it comes painted, not really sure about that till I go look at it.... I wonder how long the new one will last though? I would hate to get a new one and have it do the same thing in a year or so. I have two 12 inch kicker L7's in the back I bet they might have made it crack quicker because they hit so hard your ears hurt if I turn it up loud. And you can the whole lift gate, glass and roof flex when the bass hits hard.

"The dealership quoted me 142.58 for the part... And he said it comes painted"

Which dealer did you use?

I live in Atlanta, GA it was Wade Ford off South Cobb Parkway. I thought that was a really cheap price I am going to go look and see if it is really painted this week. Has anyone changed this part with out going to the body shop?

Please report back on the final price. And if possible, if that's any color delivered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This spring I'm going to try some marine filler in mine

Back