Rear Lift Gate (upper one) Plastic broke in half | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Lift Gate (upper one) Plastic broke in half

I notice that at least one person on here has purchased the Dorman pre-painted panel. My '04 just split last week during some near 0 degree weather here in TN. I had to park outside on the road a few days because of over an inch of ice on my very steep driveway. It split on a morning I had to use rear defrost clear the rear window. Rockauto has the Dorman unit pre-painted for around $90. Anyone use this piece? Experience?
Thanks.

As I mentioned above, I bought the same part Curtis did and installed it. I used tape in the center section as well and used a clear silicon on the top and sides after I installed it to help keep moister out. We've had some - degree temps, ran through a few car washes and it's holding up great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wrote to Rick about this. The rear window tailgate panel cracks can be fixed using RapidFix glue made by Boss Products , Michigan. Without removing the panel you can repair the cracks with it. It is a glue like a superglue, but has a powder as well which creates a weld-like bond. You have to be careful or it will stick anything you don't want stuck.

I wrote to Rick about this. The rear window tailgate panel cracks can be fixed using RapidFix glue made by Boss Products , Michigan. Without removing the panel you can repair the cracks with it. It is a glue like a superglue, but has a powder as well which creates a weld-like bond. You have to be careful or it will stick anything you don't want stuck.

This misses the whole point as to why the panels crack in the first place, so I personally think this is likely to re-crack.

This misses the whole point as to why the panels crack in the first place, so I personally think this is likely to re-crack.

The whole tailgate window assembly is frail. I noticed a Jeep the other day with a similar set-up. A day on a corrugated dirt road would probably break hinges and window. Probably making a replacement window in polycarbonate for tough conditions would be a good idea. As for the panel, well, mine is fixed. My Explorer is a 2004 XLT so the panel has been driving around for a while, and only had that one crack. It may crack again, although it seems pretty good now.

I believe there was a recall on this issue, but it's a commonly known issue. With my Exp, Ford fixed it once for free and then it cracked again and we just decided to live with it instead of continuously fixing it.

Nope, no recall. If it happened in the 1st 5 years after manufacturer, then it was likely covered under their panel warranty.

You dont have to continuously fix it so long as you fix it properly. To do that, you must first realise why it broke in the first place.
It broke because the glue holding the plastic panel to the glass is too rigid and has no flex which is needed because glass and plastic have different rates of heat expansion. Use a flexible glue (i used black roofing silicone) and you wont have to do it again.

Back