I just removed painted and replaced the cracked panel without too much difficulty (1/2 day).
Purchased panel on ebay $122 + $20 shipping
Purchased matched spray paint from automotivetouchup.com $25
Purchased one roll of 1/2" two sided tape $8
Used a 1" wood chisel to remove the old panel being careful not to damage the black rubber seal or break the glass. This takes about 1/2 hr. of knocking out the super hard glue they used to install the panel with no flexability for expansion. Plastic flys everywhere so wear glasses and take your time not to damage the seal. Once I got all of the panel off I used a small wire wheel to get rid of as much of the residual plastic pieces as possible.
I then 600 grit wet/dry sanded the new panel and painted it with the matched spray paint using the entire can to get a near factory finish.
Once dry I ran a fair sized bead of black silicone all the way around the inside of the rubber seal, leaving voids for water to drain. The seal has visable impressions for drainage so just don't silicone over them.
I placed two layers of 1/2" two sided tape virtically in the center of the mount area. This will hold the applique in the middle but allow for flex.
I raised the lid to horizontal and carefully layed the new applique in position and very lightly clamped it with wood working clamps just to hold in position until the silicone dried. You can use tape or even a clothes pin would work.
After a few hours to dry, it is done. It looks near prefect and I believe the silicone will hold well, allowing for sufficient expansion to prevent a reoccurrance. It was the best I could do. Only time will tell.