• Register Today It's free!

rear lift, spring over or under?

davy crockett

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL
So I got my 4" kit today, now I have to decide what to do in the rear. I need some suggestions as to whether to go SOA in the rear or to get some custom spring packs made up. This truck is not going to be a rock crawling machine. It will be a daily driver that does trail duty on the weekend.

Cost is not a factor since a pair of new rear springs is only about $400. It's more about the advantages and disadvantages of each system. Does the added clearance and the opportunity to correct drive line angle with SOA outweigh the stability and drive-ability of staying with spring under?

Am I overlooking any other pros/cons to either?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spring over can cause a bit of axle wrap, as the axle doesn't have as much support when the axle is over, i have a superlift rear setup with springs under and it doesn't do that ,
i would say for the cost of the springs if money is not an issue get the new springs and stay leafs under,

since its a dd id be more inclined to tell you to stay spring under.

k, thanks guys. That's kind of the way I was leaning too.

soa would give you more than 4" also

My SOA gave me 5" (at least) I like he clean look of not having anything below my axle. With my six in the front, the rear is still an 1" or 2 higher... (food for thought)

If price is no object go spring under. It'll look like an old skool hot rod w/4" in the front with a SOA in the rear.

soa would give you more than 4" also

Yeah, I know, I was going to do the SOA, see how it sat and have the springs de-arced to bring it level or have new packs made.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with spring under. There just doesn't seem to be enough pro's to going over.

The biggest advantage to spring-over on a trail rig, is the extra clearance at the axle. Your leaves stick down a long ways and can hang you up. If you're building a wheeler, at the very least, build a good set of skid plates to protect the u-bolts...then can really hang up on stuff with the factory plate.

I like the look of the spring over as well. It still sits a good inch if not more lower than the front on my '92 with the Superlift 5.5" in the front. I am currently trying to figure out how to lift the rear more without longer shackles, blocks, or a super heavy leaf pack. I still haven't mounted my spare, built a bumper or filled it with trail gear and its low. I need at least a couple more inches so it sits level with all the crap on and in it.

Back