• Register Today It's free!

rear liftgate hinge recall/TSB?

dannyb420

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I have searched and am getting mixed results. I have a crack in my lift gate hinge, not the actual liftgate. My Ex has been in the shop a few times due to the actual gate rattling when I go over bumps. The actual hinges have never been changed. As you can see from the pics they were installed crooked when the truck was built. So yesterday I here the rattle again and look at the hinge and its cracked. I am afraid to open the liftgate now in fear of the whole gate falling out. I thought there was a recall or TSB on this but when I search I get multiple numbers which may be for the actual liftgate cracking. I am looking for the one for the lftgate hinge. Can anyone help? Thanks, oh and yes my Ex is really dirty:confused:

Attachments

• 2004 Ford Explorer 001.jpg
    2004 Ford Explorer 001.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,508
  • 2004 Ford Explorer 002.jpg
    2004 Ford Explorer 002.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,410

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it. The will be able to look up the recall. No need for you to search for it. I had mine replaced about a month ago. I just said I heard about a recall. They ordered parts and fixed it in a day.

Just take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it. The will be able to look up the recall. No need for you to search for it. I had mine replaced about a month ago. I just said I heard about a recall. They ordered parts and fixed it in a day.

was your vehicle still under warranty? or did they charge you?

No warranty, no charge. It was a recall, I don't believe they can charge you even if there is no warranty coverage.

I had the ones on my 2002 done about two months ago. I called the dealer and they verified that it had not been done yet and they had the kit instock to do it. He also said that since it is a safety recall it does not expire and there is no charge. Beware though I was told 45 minutes to an hour so I waited while they did mine. 3 hours later I was finally on my way home.

did you ever figure out how to fix the rattle coming from your rear hatch? did replacing the hinge take care of it? i have the same rattle with my '04 Explorer, but i think its coming from the actual plastic piece that is attached to the glass

Back