Rear liftgate interior disassembly for '00 Mountaineer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear liftgate interior disassembly for '00 Mountaineer?

DsN

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Expedition EL Ltd
Does anyone have a diagram, video, or anything of the sort to guide me through disassembly of the rear liftgate interior on an '00 Mountaineer? I need to re-mount the rear window and would like to know what I'm in for plus I would like to minimize the chances of breaking any clips. TIA for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to remove the lift-gate trim you will need a Philips screw driver and a trim panel removal tool. a stiff putty knife will also work, but the panel tool is inexpensive and a useful tool.

1. remove the 2 Phillips screws that retain the grab handle and the handle.
2. there's 1 Phillips screw under the small cover/plug near the window latch. pop the cover off and remove this screw (note: i've found this screw is sometimes missing).
3. insert the trim panel removal tool between the panel and the lift-gate at the base of the window and slide it upward until you encounter the first retention clip. i believe there are 2 on each side of the window and 3 or 4 across the top.
4. once all the clips are popped loose, the panel is hung on the lift-gate with a series of plastic hooks. simply lift the panel upward and it will come off.

tip: to remove the 2 torque screws that go through the glass (if necessary) spray some penetrant on the screw's threads, hold the back side (where the lift support attaches) with an adjustable wrench.

Thanks to you both. :thumbsup: I'm going to tackle this job this week.

Thanks again fellas. I got this sorted the other day. Total cost of repair: 58 cents

Thanks again fellas. I got this sorted the other day. Total cost of repair: 58 cents

congrats! thanks for reporting back.

Back