• Register Today It's free!

Rear liftgate trim removal

bryan_1980

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4D
I'm trying to find an annoying squeak coming from my rear liftgate latch, and I'm going to have to remove the trim on the inside of the gate. The Haynes manual is a little sketchy on this procedure, they only show the process for the 1st. gen model. Just wondering if someone has posted a sticky on this process. I myself haven't been able to find one on the site. Any suggestions to make the job go smoothly will be appreciated, as I sure don't want to tear-up any of those little plastic clips on accident!

Remove the two phillips screws on the pull strap.
( going from memory from here )
Pop the glass. There is a screw under a cap near the latch. and I think two screws by the latch.
The part around the window is held on with christmas tree push clips but the part around the body is J hooks.
Undo the part around the glass and the bottom slides upward.

Ditto, but it's only one screw and it's behind the little oval cover on the driver's side of the latch. Once you release the clips around the top and sides of the glass, push the whole thing towards the roof and it'll pop right out. Once you've done it the first time, it takes longer to find a philips screwdriver than it does to remove the panel.

-Joe

Thanks guys, sounds easy enough!

Back