• Register Today It's free!

Rear main seal

lynnboy021

Reaction score
City, State
billerica ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
Do I need to remove the oil pan? Do I need the OTC 7834 tool? Can I get the seal at advance auto or has to be from ford? Thanks.... 2004 4.0 nbx

Do I need to remove the oil pan? Do I need the OTC 7834 tool? Can I get the seal at advance auto or has to be from ford? Thanks.... 2004 4.0 nbx
Best way would be to pull the engine, could also pull trans. Either way trans/engine need to separate to at least some extent. If it's not leaking too bad I'd leave it unless chains are rattling, in which case I would replace everything at once if you want to keep the truck. Tool isn't necessary but helpful, can't justify $200 for a one time use personally. I didn't use it and it is now leaking again :( just tap lightly/evenly and keep note to the depth the old one was installed at, in my case I installed it too far. Good luck

I just finished doing the rear main on my Tahoe. I dropped the transfer case and transmission to get at it. I did get a proper low profile transmission jack which was very useful. I'm not sure exactly about your specific questions, but I think pulling the transmission is easier, just get good jack stands that can safely hold your truck high enough for you to work.

The rear main seal I got had an insert that made it possible to install without any special tools. The only mistake I made in doing mine is that the rear main seal has Teflon and the crank side of the seal is not supposed to have any lubricant of any kind applied. I did apply a thin coat of oil. So far no leaks though.

Back