Rear parking brake issue. Brake dust shield. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear parking brake issue. Brake dust shield.

cjmcde

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Hey All:

Just completed what I hoped was a successful rear rotor and pad replacement. After bolting back together and taking it around the block, grinding noises could be heard. Determined that when pulling the rotors, I loosened the hold down clips on the parking brake. When I attempted to resecure it, the hold down pin fell out from the dust shield. It is also kind of bent. New p-brake hardware kit contains new pins but for the life of me I can not figure out how to get the pin back in. It seems to need to be behind the dust sheild and protrude into the brake cavity. Do I need to remove the hub to take off the brake sheild to do this? Can the wheel bearing stay in place if I do this? Any suggestions would be really helpful about now.

Thanks

Chris

the pins should come in from behind the splash sheild, the behind the hub you should have a spring type clip that hold it face side, on both sides.

the pin goes from the back of the plate towards the hub through the shoe.

my best guess is when the clip fell off the pin the pin probably got lost, fell out down the road.

Back