• Register Today It's free!

Rear Passenger Door Lock Issue

fj328

Reaction score
City, State
Algonquin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XTL
I have searched the forums and have not found any post that exactly fits my issue, hoping someone could pinpoint it for me. My rear passenger door lock will not work properly. I took apart the door panel and checked the lever as well as the latch and both seem to work fine when using the exterior door handle. The actuator does work properly and provides the full range of motion to lock/unlock the door except for when the inside handle is used. Once I pull on the interior handle the lock will not move more than 1/4 inch up/down manually or via the actuator until I pull the exterior handle. When the exterior handle is pulled after this condition I can hear a click and then the lock will move properly again. If the door is unlocked the interior handle will work fine and open the door, as long as the door was not locked after it was closed. All moving parts have been throughly cleaned of dirt and sprayed with WD-40.

door lock won't unlock

I have spent several days and several trips to a junk yard for all door lock problems. You will have to remove the latch asm to fix it. there is a good video on you tube that shows how to remove and replace the front and liftgate locks/actuators.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNXlQi-_a1k&feature=related

The jaws that capture the latch post are spring loaded and both should be always under spring tension. If not it's a broken spring and it may still work. but its' not right.
If you can open and close doors normally UNTIL you lock them and then only from the inside, it's a broken spring on the outside door pull arm.. When you have it off watch carefully as you move the arms. IF the outside handle lever can drop down slightly this will prevent the LOCK lever from moving, except to jiggle. I finally found one of my locks with the broken spring still inside the lock. the others were in the bottom of the doors but I didn't know what they were.

I fixed mine by drilling a small 1/16 hole in the door lever and drilling another hole on the body of the latch with my Dremel and putting a very small spring there to always return the outside door lever to the up position. It can no longer interfeer with the LOCK lever.
This fixed 2 front and 1 rear lock problems. You can buy a small box of springs at Lowes .

A locksmith also told me to lubricate the key cylinder with silicone spray.
I also degreased and cleaned the lock asm before spraying it with silicone.
you should be able to lock and unlock doors using the manual lock button and it should be EASY. You might have to loosen the inside door handle and tap the door panel back or forward to relieve binding on the button.

Back