Rear Passenger Knuckle / Drive issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Passenger Knuckle / Drive issues

A.Montgomery

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
2007 Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4x4:

Rear passenger knuckle broke Monday where the caliper mounts. Found a full replacement in a junkyard. Swapped everything out with ease. Put the wheel back on, dropped the truck from stands, and it started rolling while in park.

When the knuckle broke, it did not cause any issues other than breaking at the caliper. I was able to stop the vehicle, put it in park. Had it towed to the house, drove it in my garage. Put it in park, with no issues.

The truck no longer recognizes it's in park. I also do not have power to my rear wheels now. To move the truck I have to put it in 4x4 to make it move. Parking brake works, but no power to wheels, or parking brake.

Ideas, suggestions, tips, tricks? Anything that can be provided will be very useful. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

With a floor jack, raise the rear end lifting both tires just off the ground. By hand, rotate each tire forward or rearward - does the driveshaft turn? With the rear end still raised, put the transmission in Neutral and try turning the driveshaft by hand.

Did they tow with a flat bed/rollback style wrecker, or did they lift the front of the truck and tow it with the rear wheels on the ground? I am pretty sure if they towed it with the rear wheels on the ground, you are in trouble. And likely when you pulled it into your garage, it was the front wheels driving, ala automatic 4WD. You need some kind of "neutral tow kit" to tow these trucks with (any) wheels on the ground.

I'm hoping that IF it was front-wheel-lift (sling style wrecker) towed that the tow truck driver disconnected your driveshaft. For both of your sakes. Good luck.

It was transported on a flatbed, no wheels on the ground. I will get the rear of the truck up and let you know how I make out. Thanks for the reply!

Update: It's alive!

The Axel actually broke inside of the sleeve next to the hub on the knuckle. Replaced the drive axle and everything has been restored. Park now works, and we have power to the rear wheels now.

Back