• Register Today It's free!

Rear rotors recommendation

emolina

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT SOHC
1997 Explorer, SOHC, 4WD needs rear rotors & pads. Need recommendation for good quality rotors and pads. I can save some $ at NAPA through a buddy. Any opinions about Motorcraft? Part # would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally I wouldn't recommend spending big bucks on rear rotors or brake pads, because your rear brakes really don't provide much stopping power at all (about 25% with 75% of braking done by the front brakes). If you want to really improve braking, spend the money on your front rotors, pads and calipers - but it's your money.

Personally I wouldn't recommend spending big bucks on rear rotors or brake pads, because your rear brakes really don't provide much stopping power at all (about 25% with 75% of braking done by the front brakes). If you want to really improve braking, spend the money on your front rotors, pads and calipers - but it's your money.
My front pads are at 50%. Rears at 10%. I'm on a budget so need to know who makes decent parts and which manufacturer I should avoid.

I just did rear pads, rotors, and parking brake shoes on my '97 EB with a 5.0L and RWD. If your rear setup is a disk setup like mine, and you have the time to wait, I'd head over to RockAuto and order the same Centric 12065052 rear rotors that I got. They're $25.79/ea (plus shipping) vs $31.99 at Napa. Now, if your discount covers the difference between the price of the Centric pads shipped and what you'd pay at Napa over-the-counter, then go with the Napa parts. But for my money I'm fairly satisfied with the performance of the Centric rotors so far.

As for pads, I ordered the Centric 10506670 semi-metallic pads. Again, slightly cheaper than Napa pads and just as good quality, if not better. Again, the shipping might cover the difference but I'm happy with my choice.

Thanks.

On my fronts, I used Carquest rotors and pads. They were rebadged Raybestos at the time. Unsure if they still are though...

Back