• Register Today It's free!

Rear sag

WhyReplaceIt

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
My 4 door Explorer has the typical sag in the rear. I am due for four new shocks and was entertaining installing the coil-overs in the rear. My concern is that I don't want the truck to look jacked-up in the rear. I am looking for level. Has anyone installed these and what has been your experience with the ride height adjustment? I was looking at the Monroe 58617 shock from Advanced Auto. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very popular option to correct the sag.

I did it and I'm very happy with the results.
If the back ends up too high ..which I doubt you could always crank your torsion bars some.

raises it a few inches in rear, ride is a little stiffer. I put them on for towing, no complaints.

raises it a few inches in rear, ride is a little stiffer. I put them on for towing, no complaints.

A few inches...???!!!!!

hardly......more like an inch, inch and half tops.

I think this works great to correct the sag on our trucks.

mine was sagging too pretty bad, but I lifted mine,
and did shackles, and add a leaf, while I had the springs
out.....I swapped right to left.

:salute:

Thanks everyone for the responses. I may go this route or add a leaf and install standard shocks. Just replaced the upper control arms (due to ball joint slop)...what a difference, truck rides nice. Not sure if it was the new tight bushings but the front is sitting higher now???? Install went fine and parts looked to be dimensionally the same.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I may go this route or add a leaf and install standard shocks. Just replaced the upper control arms (due to ball joint slop)...what a difference, truck rides nice. Not sure if it was the new tight bushings but the front is sitting higher now???? Install went fine and parts looked to be dimensionally the same.

Add a leaf will lift your rear quite a bit and make the truck ride much firmer. As in, really stiff in the back.
I put the sensatrac load adjusts in the rear and I'm happy with them. In my case, I wasn't sagging, so I got about a 2 inch lift. Just barely noticeable that it's lifted.

I installed Monroe 58617 in 2011 and it has been working great since. It lifted probably about 1 inch and half on both side.

Back