rear sag | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear sag

brohamjeff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forums but just wanted to say thank you for all the valuable information and knowledge provided by the members of this forum!

Here's my question: I have a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0. The drivers side sags but my passenger side does not. If I were to add shackles to the spring packs, would that even out the sag, or would the passenger side still be higher than the drivers side?

I hope this makes sense.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The drivers side tend to sag faster due to the weight of the fuel tank and driver. Don't think a kit will help, if you want to go cheap you can try swapping sides otherwise they will need to be replaced or re-arched.
Do a search, pretty prevalent issue. And welcome to the forums!

I've got the same issue with my 99 Sport, bad sag on the driver side.
I've got a set of springs from a 4 door Limited with a V8.
I marked the springs when I took the off, can I or should I swap them side to side when I put them on my Sport?

I've got the same issue with my 99 Sport, bad sag on the driver side.
I've got a set of springs from a 4 door Limited with a V8.
I marked the springs when I took the off, can I or should I swap them side to side when I put them on my Sport?

I would, but that's just me. They've probably done 100,000+ miles with all that weight on the driver's side. Let that bad boy have a brake. Make the passenger's side do a little work now. For crying out loud, free loader! :D

Any thoughts using a 7/8" (22mm) longer ST rear sway bar end link on the drivers side to lift? Looking closely, the drivers
side end link upper frame mount bolt is at least 1" lower than the passenger side. I've read pros and cons on other forums.

REARCENTER.jpg

Not sure you would get that much height change out of a sway bar... Or how it would affect the handling characteristics.
Never noticed the height diff before, are they all like that or is that also from spring sag/fatigue? Will have to check my 2000 when I get back under it next week.

Not caused by leaf sag or fatigue. The drivers upper end link mounting point is physically lower
on every '95-'01 Gen 2 I've seen. The different rear shock mount heights are another mystery.
If you'll notice, the rear sway bar links are placed differently side to side. The driver side link is set lower than passenger side to help lift the driver side. Swaybar axle bushings, and for that matter, the endlinks might actually play a role in this too.

If the rear looks level, you can actauly measure the difference from the ground to each endlink. The driver side is about 3/4" to 1" lower on every explorer I have seen.

Correct me if I am wrong here guys.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378926

Would think it would be opposite. Never found an explanation.

Back