• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

rear seat???

ssj4sadie

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Ok long story short, Friend sits in the back and uses the middle seat seat belt. I looked back there today and the seat belt is pulled all the way out. I figured he had locked up the seat belt like that and tried to feed it back in to the receptacle. Come to find out that the belt is only anchored to a metal post. Is this normal and if so how does the belt actually restrain someone in the event of an accident?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
The middle seatbelt does not retract or recoil like the side ones -- at least not on the 2nd generation Explorers and probably not on the 1st or 3rd gens either.

tower

Reaction score
City, State
Millbury, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Limited centennial
And here is mine 02 XLT with the 3rd row

CIMG1097.jpg

CIMG1096.jpg

tower

Reaction score
City, State
Millbury, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Limited centennial
Nope just a lap belt.

Curtis

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
04 and up has the shoulder belt in the middle.