Rear shock length, Stuffed vs Drooped? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear shock length, Stuffed vs Drooped?

4X50 Exploder

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92XLT W/'50 Ford F-1 Body
I have completed most of my SOA conversion. Now it's time to get my shocks. I know I am not going to keep these springs for the long run so I am trying to guestimate shock size that will work now and after replacement. Right now the shock length only changes 4" from stuffed to full droop.

I was very surprised at the lack of change in the shock length because I can lift either of the rear tires 14-15" before the other comes up off the ground...

I desperately need input from those of you that are getting more travel out of your rear axle! What kind of numbers are you getting when stuffed and drooping and what did you do to get it?

Attachments

• IMG_1078 web.jpg
    IMG_1078 web.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_1079 web.jpg
    IMG_1079 web.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 476

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its going to depend on a number of factors, but in your build id say its too soon to tell.

1- Its going to articulate alot more once you get some weight on the rear.

2- Picking up one tire on the shop floor doesnt quite get it fully articulated. Generally, the best way is to wait until its done, full weight on it, and "twist it up". Pick up one tire on the front and the opposite tire on the rear.

3- Mounts... its all going to depend on were and how you want to mount them.

I know that wasnt much help, but with just a bare frame, no mounts and no weight on the rear its a guessing game at this point.

Right now the shock length only changes 4" from stuffed to full droop.
Thats in the neighborhood of what I came up with when I did an SOA. And the reason why it seems so small is because the shocks are angled inwards.

Gotta love guestimation!

Well, because Rancho had a $100 rebate going when I was buying my front shocks, I went ahead and paid for all four shocks at a local shop. Looking at the current setup, I have told them to get me the RS99028 shocks.

The RS99028 has a range from 16.8" to 28". This will work on my current setup and gives me 4" of additional travel in each direction that will hopefully keep me from having to change shocks when I address better springs...

Thanks for the inputs, Right now I have to work on installing the parts I have on hand so I can start mounting the body. The new spring setup will have to remain in the information gathering stage and then be added to my wish list...

If anyone is still reading this thread, I would still like to see what they have done for a rear setup with improved travel.

Because your springs are so close to the tires, you're fairly limited on mounting options. I think your best bet would be angled across the back like - /___\

Because your springs are so close to the tires, you're fairly limited on mounting options. I think your best bet would be angled across the back like - /___\

Thanks, I've got the shock mounts all done. they place the bottom of the shock next to the spring's inner U-bolt and down as low as I could get them without being an obstical while off road.

The mounting I am hoping to see from the members is what they have done with their springs...

Back