Rear Shock Replacements

Ford_Racing_Guy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spencer, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT & '98 XLT AWD
well i have my Explorer parked for now until i start driving it in the fall again,

and the the other day i noticed that my left rear shock was leaking, so now i figure i better go ahead and fix it so i don't have to worry about it later on.

now i was just wondering, what kind of shocks would you recommend that aren't too badly priced, i will probably go with a set of Gabriels but i was just wondering what some of you guys are running on a stock 1st Gen Ex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've seen folks here say good stuff about the monroes and gabriel vsts for trucks that don't do offroading. i think they are pretty inexpensive too.

Hey, I just replaced my shocks on my '92 today! I used $20 Monroe Gas Matic LTs from Advance Auto Parts. Lifetime limited warrenty bla bla bla. They ride better than the shot Gabriels. Since it's a 4x2 i didn't need anything for off roading. In the process of doing the front, the mount for the bottom end of the shock sheared off. Since it's not a bolt or stud, I had to grind it, drill it, and use a bolt. This is said to be common. It worked out okay though.

If you don't mind the price, Bilsteins are great. I recently purchased my ex and it has Monroe Sensa-trac, I dislike them very much.

hey thanks guys for the recommendations

Monroe SensaTracs for me. Have had them for a year and they're still going strong.

I love my Rancho RSX's. Have about 50k miles on them and they still perform like when I bolted them on. They're a little pricy, you could probably find a rear pair for around 100. Well worth it IMO.

thanks for the suggestions, i just went and got a Couple Gabriel sport shocks, they were only 20 bucks a piece,

gonna install them tomorrow morning

Back