rear shocks - question

M.Green

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT V6 SOHC
Hello,

I read a thread the other day with instructions to do the rear shocks. I already had them in the mail that's why I was looking for the instructions. Now I went out about 5 minutes ago to get them done and it sure does look like the rusted bolt on the bottom end will break if I put any elbow grease into it.

Can I get this bolt at VIP, AutoZone, Napa, Carquest? I'd like to get these shocks on as soon as possible. I mean, it's 3 bolts but if this one breaks on me then what? I have nothing to drive to even find the bolt.

So basically I am asking is the 15mm bolt on the bottom end of the shock going to be an easy find? I'd rather brake the old one and replace it anyway. But if it's special order I'd like to know to so I can figure out where to get it from and if anyone has a part # for it.

Thanks much,
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when i replace all 4 of mine i had the same problem on the rear bottom bolt. i live in a small town and the local hardware had what i needed and i added a loscking washer just in case. i had to make sure they would fit right so i took them out but i had the wifes car to get what i needed. so either place u go should have what u need. i dont think its a special bolt for them

The bolts on the bottom are a 10.9 strength rating, at least on my exp. Personally, I would get them at a dealer, I do not think you will find that hardness at a hardware store or an auto store. The local NAPA store here has 8.8 rated bolts, but they are about 30% less strong than the 10.9 rated.

The bolts on the bottom are a 10.9 strength rating, at least on my exp. Personally, I would get them at a dealer, I do not think you will find that hardness at a hardware store or an auto store. The local NAPA store here has 8.8 rated bolts, but they are about 30% less strong than the 10.9 rated.

I believe 10.9 is metric for grade 8. They should be the same thing.

Or is 8.8 metric for grade 8? LOL..either way grade 8 is plenty strong for shocks.

I believe 10.9 is metric for grade 8. They should be the same thing.

Or is 8.8 metric for grade 8? LOL..either way grade 8 is plenty strong for shocks.

Hi gman,

Probably does not matter however, 10.9 and 8.8 are not the same.

8.8 ISO R898
Class 8.8 Alloy Steel, Quenched and Tempered proof load = 85,000 psi yield strength = 92,000 psi tensile strenth = 120,000 psi

10.9 ISO R898
Class 10.9 proof load = 120,000 psi, yield strength 130,000 psi, tensile strength = 150,000 psi.

Are the 8.8 strong enough for shocks? I really don't know, I just would get the original strength myself. Again, probably does not matter, I just would rather get the original strength to be on the safe side.

From what I recall, stock strength is grade 5. The newer Ford HD trucks are using grade 8 for critical load bearing points. That was an upgrade and displayed in advertisements. The chrome molly in the grade 8 and higher is where the strength comes from.

My point in my last post was grade 8 is plenty strong for anything we use them for, albeit sliders, bumpers, axles, shackles, shocks, or anything that take a shock load. So it wont matter if it is grade 8 or 10.9, they both work. I was being a goof :)

Thank you for the tech data on the hardware. Most hardware stores carry grade 8 hardware. Go down their aisle' and look for the bins in yellow/gold. I have grade 10.9 in my rig on my front body mounts, and for my front tow rings. I found that hardware at a John Deere dealership with a parts counter. Apparently that is what they use in their larger tractors.

Back