Rear Shocks - replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Shocks - replacement

NMac

Reaction score
City, State
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Year, Model & Trim Level
My self leveling light comes on after a few minutes or few miles, switching off then on the ignition starts another short episode of action but as always the light comes on, is there a cure for this or should I just switch it off :scratch:

Can I replace my rear shocks with normal gas shocks or do I have to go with OEM style shocks ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you checked underneath to make sure your sensor is still attached to the back axle?

on top of the pumpkin, there's a bracket with 2 things attached to it, make sure they're on, if not, pop em back on, and your suspension should be fixed....

Si

have you checked underneath to make sure your sensor is still attached to the back axle?

on top of the pumpkin, there's a bracket with 2 things attached to it, make sure they're on, if not, pop em back on, and your suspension should be fixed....

Si

Will check when im replacing the discs and pads next week, something disconnected would be too easy :)

Happens all the time with the self levelling plunger switch.
The little ball joints corrode away and they just pop off.
Mines held on with a tye-wrap now and works fine.
Two minute fix..

Nice one, something else to check on, cheers ;)

As above cable tie it back or put new nuts and bolts in if its come off,
Keven p makes a good bracket if your going to lift it.

Whilst you are under there it is also worth checking the air lines where they go into the shocks. Give em a good shove to make sure they are seated.
Oh and don't drive with the switch off. Once every thing is checked turn off the switch,jack up the rear end (both wheels off the ground) and front wheels chocked, then after a couple of minutes lower back down, switch on the suspension, ignition on then off then shut all doors and let it do its thing.

Thanks Janolsson I had a look today and yes the upright had come away from the ball but that wasnt my only problem as I had just changed the front discs and pads and whilst being happy that it was an easy and enjoyfull task I buttoned everything back together and proceded to reverse off my brothers ramp and thought the brakes were a bit spongey, I reckoned that after changing the pads it was just the pistons moving back out...................but no the pool of brake fluid was evidence of a catastrophic failure :(, turned out to be the right hand hard pipe just where it joins the rubber pipe, so eventually got the rusted pipe nut out but although we have imperial and metric brake pipe nuts neither would fit so I reckon its just the old rubber hose fitting is not good enough or is there a difference for the explorer to the normal 3/16" pipe

Have ordered two rubber brake pipes just need the pipe nuts now and I will replace both front pipe lengths :rolleyes:

but no the pool of brake fluid was evidence of a catastrophic failure :(, turned out to be the right hand hard pipe just where it joins the rubber pipe, so eventually got the rusted pipe nut out but although we have imperial and metric brake pipe nuts neither would fit so I reckon its just the old rubber hose fitting is not good enough or is there a difference for the explorer to the normal 3/16" pipe
LONGEST SENTENCE IN THE WORLD!!:D
Have ordered two rubber brake pipes just need the pipe nuts now and I will replace both front pipe lengths :rolleyes:

Here you go, discussed in this thread and ebay link in a post further down to the nuts you need
Richuk thread on brake pipe

Tho £2.50 each seems a bit steep to me or am i just tight??

Edit; Strike that it is for a pack of 5 (why 5, surely 4 or 6 or 8 would be more ideal??)

Here you go, discussed in this thread and ebay link in a post further down to the nuts you need
Richuk thread on brake pipe

Tho £2.50 each seems a bit steep to me or am i just tight??

Edit; Strike that it is for a pack of 5 (why 5, surely 4 or 6 or 8 would be more ideal??)

Thanks Janolsson again you have saved me, I have sent for 50 female nuts and 20 male nuts so that should get both sides replaced and will then have to look at my other Explorer to see if it is requiring brake lines :D

Maybe in packs of 5 to allow you to damage / lose one before you get it right :thumbsup:
Excellent ebay shop for all those little fasteners or fittings hard to find in a main street :)

Bought a Mondeo ST24 2.5 V6 S reg estate to get me around during my holiday and until I repair my brakes and im shocked at how little mileage I get compared to my Explorer and thats with a Powerflow exhaust on my Ex :eek:

Bought a Mondeo ST24 2.5 V6 S reg estate to get me around during my holiday and until I repair my brakes and im shocked at how little mileage I get compared to my Explorer and thats with a Powerflow exhaust on my Ex :eek:

Ha Ha,
Maybe it just needs a service or it could be a new car to you with a bit of poke so you are a little heavy with the right foot :p:

Where did you get the powerflow exhaust, how much was it? i am thinking of getting this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330601701697?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

to get a better sound does anybody have any thoughts.

onetime

The Powerflow system was built too the Ex up in Turriff tyres but im sure Powerflow has garage outlets all over Britain, my system was made for a deep V6 burble and sounds the dogs under load and cost me £420 incl VAT, there is the Magnaflow which gives the same results and is much the same price and both systems are stainless steel, so are fit and forget :D

I have only heard the Flowmaster boxes and system on a Trans Am and a lovely sound but quite loud and I prefer the deep burble to the teeth rattling loudness :confused:

Ha Ha,
Maybe it just needs a service or it could be a new car to you with a bit of poke so you are a little heavy with the right foot :p:

Think your right with the lead foot :)

It will get a service before I sell it on (it has a full Powerflow exhaust system as well) :D

Back