Rear Signal/Stop Light non-functional | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Signal/Stop Light non-functional

arco777

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
My right rear turn signal/brake indicator isn't operating correctly. Ground is good, night running light circuit works, but the 12V "pulse" circuit for brake/turn/hazard isn't working. Left indicator, third brake light, and front signals are working correctly. The indicator light on the dash for the right turn signal illuminates as normal and the front right turn signal is fine.

Voltmeter readings are sporadic but indicate a pulse of only around 5 volts when it should be 12. I have traced the wire (orange/light blue) forward from the socket to behind the right rear speaker is and it has normal resistance. Can't figure out where it goes from there, under the carpet maybe as it's not under the right door sill.

Any idea why I'd only be getting 5 volts on the right turn signal? Could it be a short somewhere? If so, where does the wire run? Thanks!

EDIT 2: Tilting the wheel up has no effect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And today it worked fine. I had suspected for a while that it was intermittently non-functional but now have seen it for sure... still want to know why though!

You have corrosion at one of your connectors or you have a wire that is corroded. You want to check the wires to see if there are any spots that are worn through and check your connectors to see if there are any spots where they are corroded. Also, if you have trailer wiring, check that for bad corrosion or places where there is possible contact with grounds or other wiring.

You have corrosion at one of your connectors or you have a wire that is corroded. You want to check the wires to see if there are any spots that are worn through and check your connectors to see if there are any spots where they are corroded. Also, if you have trailer wiring, check that for bad corrosion or places where there is possible contact with grounds or other wiring.

Thanks for the advice. It doesn't have trailer wiring. Corrosion or damage does sound like a possibility. I have checked the wires all the way from the light socket forward to behind the rear speakers and my voltage drop issue is somewhere forward of that. Do you know where the wires go from there?

sorry not off the top of my head.

Back