• Register Today It's free!

Rear Speaker Change

tp03

Reaction score
City, State
BHM, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
I am trying to install new speakers into my '99 Sport, but couldn't figure out how to remove the rear panel to get to the speaker. The factory speaker are 6x8 or 5x7, but I decided to put a 6x9 in to increase the peak power of the speakers. I was able to remove the front door panels and cut out a hole to fit the 6x9's in. If anybody can help me how to remove the rear speaker panel I would greatly appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You shouldn't need to remove the whole panel, just the speaker grille, and that should just pop out.

The grille pops out just by using a flat screwdriver on the top and bottom. Dunno if you'll be able to fit the 6x9s as easily as you did in the front.

I put 6x9's in the back of my '01 Sport. Piece of cake.

Appreciate all your help.

It is easier to put 6x9's in the back of a Sport than in the front. There is 7" of depth for the speaker, and the housing for the speaker is really just a plastic bracket that could be easily cut for 6x9's.

I am trying to install new speakers into my '99 Sport, but couldn't figure out how to remove the rear panel to get to the speaker. The factory speaker are 6x8 or 5x7, but I decided to put a 6x9 in to increase the peak power of the speakers. I was able to remove the front door panels and cut out a hole to fit the 6x9's in. If anybody can help me how to remove the rear speaker panel I would greatly appreciate it.
I know this thread is real real REAL OLD but did you have success with that? Was you able to take pictures? I want to do the same but don't know how it's gonna work out for me

I know this thread is real real REAL OLD but did you have success with that? Was you able to take pictures? I want to do the same but don't know how it's gonna work out for me
They were last seen a day after they posted this over 14 years ago. I wouldn’t hold out much hope for pictures.

They were last seen a day after they posted this over 14 years ago. I wouldn’t hold out much hope for pictures.
Haha true that. Well that sucks I might just have to go in blind on this one

Back