Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
Does anyone have experience with this brand?

My vehicle is approaching 300k miles and I’m not interested in putting premium products on it. However, I don’t want something’s that’s just going to fail in 6 months.

Is there a brand you’ve used that has lasted?

IMG_4443.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't. Last week I put in a new lower ball joint. I had replaced both upper control arms with ball joints made by Detroit Axle in May. During the disassembly for the lower ball joint I damaged the boot to the upper ball joint. Inside there was NO grease that I could see but I couldn't see in back. So I cleaned the boot with carb cleaner and wrapped electrical tape to cover the 3/16" hole. I then attached a syringe needle for grease guns to my grease gun and proceeded to pump grease into the ball joint boot. It took numerous pumps before I saw the boot swell. I did the other upper ball joint that wasn't damaged. It also took numerous pumps from my grease gun before the boot started to swell. It was dry in that one also. I would try Moog myself. Btw it was a Moog lower ball joint I installed with grease already in the boot from the factory.

Using anything other than top quality brands is just asking to do the job twice, no matter how old it is.

If you're seeking out less than best you're already giving up on the vehicle...and it will fail you.

I wouldn't. Last week I put in a new lower ball joint. I had replaced both upper control arms with ball joints made by Detroit Axle in May. During the disassembly for the lower ball joint I damaged the boot to the upper ball joint. Inside there was NO grease that I could see but I couldn't see in back. So I cleaned the boot with carb cleaner and wrapped electrical tape to cover the 3/16" hole. I then attached a syringe needle for grease guns to my grease gun and proceeded to pump grease into the ball joint boot. It took numerous pumps before I saw the boot swell. I did the other upper ball joint that wasn't damaged. It also took numerous pumps from my grease gun before the boot started to swell. It was dry in that one also. I would try Moog myself. Btw it was a Moog lower ball joint I installed with grease already in the boot from the factory.
Most modern ball joints, tie rods etc aren’t greased. They have a Teflon joint or something.

Using anything other than top quality brands is just asking to do the job twice, no matter how old it is.

If you're seeking out less than best you're already giving up on the vehicle...and it will fail you.
I don’t know that quality exists anymore. I’ve had Timkin and SKF fail early, Monroe went to crap. Moog is crap. At any rate, comes with a 10 year warranty, I guess I’ll be the Guinea pig.

Most modern ball joints, tie rods etc aren’t greased. They have a Teflon joint or something.

I also used Moog tie rod ends and they also come with zerk fittings and you could see the grease in them. I thought Moog was a good brand but have been hearing some negative feedback on some of their parts. I'd like to find out who does make quality aftermarket parts. I didn't know some joints have teflon coating and I would have noted that in the description on Amazon.

I also used Moog tie rod ends and they also come with zerk fittings and you could see the grease in them. I thought Moog was a good brand but have been hearing some negative feedback on some of their parts. I'd like to find out who does make quality aftermarket parts. I didn't know some joints have teflon coating and I would have noted that in the description on Amazon.
I used to work for a major parts store. The “Teflon” or whatever joint that was used, was not advertised. The manufacturer actually added zerk fittings back as old school mechanics just couldn’t grasp the technology.

Moog is the same quality as NAPAs value line, in most cases (historical, as NAPA has since gone to **** too). Moog is a mixed line, whereas other brands have a separate premium and value.

There’s been so much merging in the lines over the last few years, that it’s all most likely the same.

Does anyone have experience with this brand?

My vehicle is approaching 300k miles and I’m not interested in putting premium products on it. However, I don’t want something’s that’s just going to fail in 6 months.

Is there a brand you’ve used that has lasted?

View attachment 445135
Chinese junk

Moog is good enough ,supplied with National bearing (chinese too).will last approx. 50000 miles (probably)

If you able to DIY,replace the bearing only.will cost max 50 bucks for the part

I've bought from Detroit axle before and have had no issues. Usually if you are not in a hurry. But recently I've bought all my parts TRQ from 1AAUTO.COM and let me tell you boy do they stand by their parts. 18 months replaced my front two bearings with theirs, no issues. Now just last month I'm over 200000 in my 2010, so I decided to swap everything in the front end, cv axles, lower joints, upper control arms, swaybar links, brakes, and I figured while it was apart might as well so a week before I was doing this I sent 1AAUTO.COM a email that one of the front bearings is noisy! 2 days later 2 new bearings were at my door.
This isn't 1980 anymore and most parts are fairly equal with a few exceptions, but not worth the price since these front ends are so easy to w

Back