Rear spoiler for Explorer?!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear spoiler for Explorer?!!!

ksfrogman

Reaction score
Okay all, I have a rear spoiler/wind deflector for my 1996 Explorer. It's the black Ford aftermarket product that is curved with rounded corners, just like about everything else on the Explorer. However, lately, I've noticed that lots of the new SUVs have cool rear spoilers, as in the Toyota Sequoia, Lexus RX-300, Saleen XP8 Explorer.

What gets me is that there seem to be 200 x 10^23 varieties of spoilers for the Honda Civic, yet almost no good selections for the Explorer. Saleen sells aerodynamic body parts for the Mustang, but not for the Explorer. I have checked Performance products, Explorer Express, and a few other vendors, but nobody seems to make "good stuff" for Explorers. The same applies for aftermarket hoods.

Any ideas anyone? Has anyone tried using spoilers from other vehicles on the Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me guess--this will be another one of my four threads on this forum that gets 20+ viewers, but no responses. Come on you deadbeats, speak up!!!

give us TIME to reply!!!!

Are you looking for a SPOILER for your Explorer or a new rear wind deflector? IMO the Lund WindJammer and the EGR DustGuard both look pretty nice. I might even be purchasing one or the other in a couple of months.

BTW, any way you could post a pic of the factory Ford wind deflector? I've never seen one.

Good idea. I have a digital cam, but with the rain and cold, it's a little difficult to get out there and take a picture. I'll try to do that this weekend and post it. Thanks.

Saleen makes a spoiler for the Explorer. I believe it runs about $450, and comes with new rear window shocks too, because you won't be able to raise the rear glass as high once the spoiler is installed. I don't think Saleen has it on their site, so you'll have to call them for more info. There is one member on the board who has one on his Sport, but I don't remember who it is.

the guy who owns that truck with the saleen spoiler is willychu. heres a pic (hopefully) i dig the he** out of his truck.

Explorer05.jpg

Thanks Doug, I was getting a brain cramp trying to remember who that was.

Well man, I can understand your frustration about the hood. I've done A LOT of looking and the only one I've seen is the one on the "Troll". (and it is a completely custom job) The said reality is that the market for aftermarket body enhancements for Explorers is just too small. Ofcourse every kid in the world wants to "rice up" there Honda. But if a company took on the project of making parts like that for Explorers they would take a gigantic loss. Who knows though, maybe if enough of us are looking someone might wakeup and try it...

I contacted a local authorized Saleen dealer and they said that they would order one for me for $300. I don't know how it mounts. I have seen a few varieties of rear wings that mount with 3M double sided tape. Someone already posted Willy Chu's X with his Saleen wing. It looks real sharp.

If anyone lives in or around Houston, TX call this guy...

-----cut-----
The rear wing is available for $290.00 plus freight-takes about one to two weeks to ship in. Special orders have to be prepaid before the order can be processed.

Please give me a call at 713 802 6604 (direct/voice mail) or come by our parts department at 767 North Shepherd, Suite 100 (about 1/4 mile north of I-10 on North Shepherd) on the left. Be glad to help you with getting this.

Thanks!
Jerry Hieber
Tommie Vaughn Parts/Motorsports
jhieber@tommievaughn.com
-----end-----

hope this helps...

If you guys check out the march issue of Truckin' you can see a Mercury Mountaineer that they have put a whole bunch of Saleen stuff on. They put on front and rear fascias, side cladding, suspension, Cobra R rims, new hood, and a rear deck spoiler.

I just put on the Lund Windjammer and had it painted the same color as the vehicle. Looks pretty sweet. I'll post pics this weekend.

Glen, $290 isn't a bad price. Does it include the rear glass shocks? When I talked to the Saleen rep a few months ago, he said that the spoiler bolts on. I don't know if it would be a good idea to try and mount a spoiler of that size and shape with the double-sided tape.

I went with the EGR dustguard. Its aerodynamic ,sporty,and funtional. Plus it snaps on. Be careful, some need drilling to install and may be a problem if you ever want to remove it. Or leaks even if you never take it off.

Dead Link Removed

The Turboshield (Rear Air Deflector from Explorer Express)

Last edited:

Back