Rear Spool | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Spool

You could get a minispool though, which just replaces your spider gears, in which case no adjustments need to be made to the ring and pinion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doug said:
A spool replaces the carrier, and the backlash will have to be reset after you install a spool.

I thought this might be the case. So since I wouldn't be able to do this myself, there would be a high labor cost in addition to the cost of the spool. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

How does a minispool differ from a standard spool?

Ever seen the difference between a lunch box locker and a full size? Same difference. A mini spool gets installed inside the open carrier. A full spool replaces the carrier. The carrier is what the crown or ring gear bolts to.

I see. I know what a carrier is, it's just that the whole spool concept is new to me. Since I have limited slip, my only option is the full spool to replace the carrier, or a Powertrax auto locker.

I figured I'd throw that in for the silent folks reading :D

Spool beats 'auto' locker for handling, hands down. Harder to park, but thats the only down side, and a 40/60 rig it shouldn't be an issue at all. FAR easier (and more even, too!) on tires than an open diff with a heavy foot. They don't break, either. I've broken 3 detroit lockers, never tried a lunch box locker, but its gonna be weaker still.
My explorer has TrueTracs front and rear. Realistically, its 85%+ street, 10% dirt/gravel, and 5% offroad/sand dunes. Torsen type LS is the ONLY LS worth using, period. clutch ones are locked until the going gets tough, then they bail out on you, if they didn't wear out 20000 miles ago... braking with them helps a very little, but with a Torsen (truetrac) it makes it LOCK.
If you actually wheel your rig (on purpose) and don't mind the quirks on the pavement, its pretty tough to beat a spool/selectable rear and locker/selectable front. Elec-Trac's front and rear....mmmm too bad not available when I got my 8.8 Truetrac.

Captain AirTime said:
Elec-Trac's front and rear....mmmm too bad not available when I got my 8.8 Truetrac.

Do they make a electric locker for the TTB? I didn't think it was possbile since the cover needs to be replaced, or do you has a straight axle in your 92?

Electrac

bnkrtstk said:
Do they make a electric locker for the TTB? I didn't think it was possbile since the cover needs to be replaced, or do you has a straight axle in your 92?

No, there is no TTB electrac, and no plans for one... I asked ;)
It wouldn't be a huge deal to adapt one to the beam, but steering linkage clearance would be a big IF.

Eaton might make an electric that would fit the D35, but its just a lame open diff. I'd rather have a lockright or something

Ive had a spool in my Bronco since a week after i bought it, and it was my daily driver for about 2 years. Just take it easy on the throttle turning corners and whatnot and it will be fine. Give it a few days, and the spool/welded rear will teach you how to drive it right. :D Offroad there is nothing better. You will be amazed at the obsticles you used to struggle on now become easy.

james t said:
Just take it easy on the throttle turning corners and whatnot and it will be fine.

Or, with sufficient horsepower, go HARD on the throttle turning corners. It really is a LOT more fun :cool:

Short wheelbase like my 77 Bronco tends to feel the effects a little more accutely than my Ranger, or even an Exploder, but like James said, you get used to it quickly.

Captain AirTime said:
Or, with sufficient rear axle strength, go HARD on the throttle turning corners. It really is a LOT more fun :cool:
Fixed it for you. :p

james t said:
Fixed it for you. :p

Well, I learned the hard way, so I always start out with strong axles now, and avoid detroit lockers, which are fragile with my particular driving style ;-)

I got a question. Why are spools so damn expensive? Seems like such simple things would not cost so much!

there are spools all over ebay for around 20-25 bucks. you should check them outhere

thats for a nine inch, but thats what ive got.
Are the quality of these not good or what, because that is WAY CHEAP :thumbsup:

Depends if its a full spool or a mini-spool. A full spool is the entire carrier..... mini-spool just replaces the spiders. Mini spools for a 9" are cheap because companies make a trillion of them at a time. Thats the most popular rear end to use on dirt track, oval, drag racing, etc. etc.

well i found a moser engineering full spool for 187 bucks, and i think i'm gonna get it. i think however, that with a full spool you also have to run a c-clip eliminator setup, another 130 bucks. but tack on another 300 for somebody else to bust their knuckles, and it still comes in cheaper than full or selectable lockers. done deal!

scratch all that! on the moser website, for 630 bucks, you get the spool, cclip elim kit, and new custom alloy axles!!!!! done deal ver.2.0!!!!

Lunchbox locker would be much cheaper.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah but i want quality too......

Back