• Register Today It's free!

Rear strut is toast

PEAR0119

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4
Hey guys, well I found out that the rear drivers side strut is completely finished. I was following my dad home (who was driving the Explorer) and I realized that every bump he hit the rear drivers side control arm would bounce and bounce and bounce forever. The passenger side was firm and wouldn't bounce at all. Now my question is since they are covered under warranty, should I try and get them replaced as a pair or just get them to replace the one bad strut?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They (Ford) will probably not like it, but any control item should be replaced in pairs. Even the tires if one is replaced.

That's what I was thinking as well, I will see what I can get out of them. At the very least I will be walking away with one strut replaced.

Last time I was in there complaining about a sloppy suspension they blamed it on my tires. Now I can go in and tell them exactly what is wrong and what needs to be done. I hate going into dealers to get things fixed cause I always fear the "There was nothing wrong" response even though I know there is a problem.

Dropped it off at the dealer tonight, so we will see what they come back with. If they say that its not covered under warranty I will be going ape **** on their *****!!!

How many miles on the Explorer?

btw-best of luck w/dealer.

They wont be covered. There is no warranty on shocks unless under 3 year/36000 mile warranty.

How many miles on the Explorer?

btw-best of luck w/dealer.

The truck currently has 47K miles on it.

The warranty brochure that I have states that the front and rear struts are covered under my warranty, but it also goes on to say that shocks are not covered so I have no idea what is going to happen.

I thought the Explorer had springs and shocks, not a strut assemblies.

Regardless, not powertrain warranty-related.

Yes, sure looks like a strut "assembly" with a replaceable shock, the spring/shock unit is not replaced as a whole unit.

The shock is mounted inside of the spring like many cars.

It is a coil over shock so im 150% sure its not covered! Believe me we got charged back for the first couple we covered under warranty.

Back