Rear suspension on 1st Gen.

Thelgord

Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Greetings,

Its been a while sine I have posted here, but I have a quick question. Last week I decided to go up 21rd (I live in GJ, CO) and didn't get very far before I relized I needed more mods before trying to go farther. When I got back on level ground (after beeting up my 91XLT) the rear end was sagging on one side, and now both. I susspect the shocks are shot, and I am assuming they are the OEM that came with it new.

Since I am going to be changing out the rear shocks anyway I figured while I was at it, I would also do the SOA conversion. I have some concerns about the condition of the current leaf springs. Should they also be replaced? Or will the current set be fine to use? So far I have found no sign of cracks, dents, or other damage although the paint is comming off.

Thanks for any responce.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you do the SOA the rear is going to be lifted up about 4-6"..unless your going to lift the front an get some bigger tires..i would say jus get some warrior shackles an call it good.

Thelgord said:
When I got back on level ground (after beeting up my 91XLT) the rear end was sagging on one side, and now both. I susspect the shocks are shot, and I am assuming they are the OEM that came with it new.
Shocks would have no effect on the truck sagging. Technically, you could take them out, and the truck would sit the same.

If you witnessed an instant, and noticable, sagging, it sounds like you broke something. How much sagging did you notice on that one side? And how much on both sides now?

About 1.5 to 2"

Edit, It used to sit just about level, now there noticable drop in hight in the rear that would geustimate to be about 2"

your leafs may have flatened out depending on how much of a beating you put on them.

full tank of gas?

Back