• Register Today It's free!

rear suspension

explorermatt001

Reaction score
City, State
Mission Viejo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 4x4
i have superlift 4'' springs in the rear of the truck, but its too much lift. I need something that can clear 32'' tires in the rear. What do you suggest. If i get rid of the lift springs what should i do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

would i need to get some stock springs for that, how much do the shackles lift it

Yes, you will need the stock springs. The shackles will give you close to 2" of lift. Do not use the superlift springs or you will just keep going higher and higher (which is good, but not in your case).

-Drew

do you think that a dealer would sell the stock springs or should i look for someone selling them on here

Don't go to the dealership - they'll rip ya a new one. Get some used ones from a junk yard or just search around. Talk to some people on here who have recently done the Superlift suspension lift and see if they're wlling to part with their springs.

-Drew

ok thanks, so i think i am gunna go with the stock springs and the warrior shackles. this should be able to clear 32" tires right? ALso, would i need to get any different shocks or anything since the suspension will be lower than it was with the superlift on there?

yup i got shackles and 33s my sig says shackles and add a leafs were to take the sag out so i really have 2 inches of lift from the shackles and 33" tires

an option: assuming ur axle sits on top of the leaf springs, think about using "lowering" blocks.. its a 'dirty' approach in that it reduces clearance a little bit (since the springs will be lower compared to axle center line) but it should be pretty simple.

IZwack said:
an option: assuming ur axle sits on top of the leaf springs, think about using "lowering" blocks.. its a 'dirty' approach in that it reduces clearance a little bit (since the springs will be lower compared to axle center line) but it should be pretty simple.

blocks to lower it because its lifted is jsut dumb......

offer your springs for sale, i am sure someone will swap you and pay you a few bucks....... then get a set of warriors, with your new used stock springs... good to go

jimabena74 said:
blocks to lower it because its lifted is jsut dumb

i got 0hned! :confused:

ahah oh

jimabena74 said:
blocks to lower it because its lifted is jsut dumb......

offer your springs for sale, i am sure someone will swap you and pay you a few bucks....... then get a set of warriors, with your new used stock springs... good to go

I disagree.......................On my way home from work minutes ago I thought about doing this to my 01 sport that will be getting lifted soon. I need enough clearance to run 32's. Shackles are Dumb if you ask me they look stupid and you loose some stability with longer shackles. Add a Leafs make the ride much stiffer which again stinks. The Superlift springs on the other hand are a progressive spring with the same if not better ride than stock. Since the explorers have a spring under axle setup I figure I can make a 1-2" block to get the exact lift I need to lever my truck after a 2" torsion twist. Thats Dumb?

explorermatt001 if you want to swap springs let me know.....I have a set off of a 01 Sport (multileaf)

Mac

it is dumb in the sence that you will have your shock mounts 1-2" lower than necissary where you might hit stuff (rocks, etc..) why dont you just get your 4" lift springs re arched to 2 or 3". that would be the best idea

BigDave!!! said:
it is dumb in the sence that you will have your shock mounts 1-2" lower than necissary where you might hit stuff (rocks, etc..) why dont you just get your 4" lift springs re arched to 2 or 3". that would be the best idea

Never thought of the clearance problem good point. Though I doubt it would be a problem as it would be with a few inches from the tire. I would think that if I where to straddle a rock and the rock would be that close to the tire I would just drive over it. Good point though. I will look into the re-Arch thing. What if I where to take 1 leaf out?? or trim a few inched off 1 or 2 leafs?

Mac

It's also not a good idea because moving the axle away from the spring creates a moment arm that will put more stress into the spring. The farther the axle is from the spring, the more stress there is. Think of it like a breaker bar. The longer the breaker bar, the more stress you can apply to what you're trying to loosen/tighten.

Go with a set of Warrior shackles and stock springs. You can buy new stock springs from JCWhitney for a decent price (my buddy just bought a set for his truck for around $100 or so)

I don't think a 1-1.5 inch spacer is going effect anything. Also With the superlift springs you would have much better articulation than with using helper springs and shackles. Come to think of it Spacers would NOT lower your shock mounts as they would do ABOVE the spring not below it.

Mac

I think the block idea is the most economical way... i mean you already bought the springs, how much were they? And the shackles are gonna cost ya a fortune for something you can make with less then 20 bucks.

15 dollar lowering block on 4" lift springs. haha little bit of an oxymoron, but it will get this guy his dream, with out sacraficing too much.

if money werent an option, id say sell those superlift springs and get some 2" Old man emu springs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe all you comments here are for people that don't know the price of the superlift springs. They are only $125 each. The old man Emu springs for 2" are like double the price.

Mac

Back