• Register Today It's free!

Rear Sway Bar

2many

Reaction score
City, State
Somerset County, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT AWD SOHC
I was telling a friend about the significant handling improvement of the EE rear sway bar I recently installed. He told me that owners from a Saab forum were installing two stock Saab rear sway bars on the rear of their cars as a low buck alternative to buying a new aftermarket rear bar. I don't know if anyone has tried this with an X, but it sounds doable. The rear bars are plentiful in salvage yards; would just have to figure out how to mount two bars. Maybe it is possible to mount bar one in front of the rear axle. Let me know what you think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2many said:
on the rear of their cars as a low buck alternative to buying a new aftermarket rear bar.[\QUOTE]

My assumptioin is that anti-sway bars, like torsion bars, have a torsion rating associated with them... so that anti-sway bars for cars would probably be too "soft" for an Explorer. I also assume that torsion bars can only be "torqued" over to a certain limit until one starts permanently deforming the bar. Car rear-ends usually have less articulation than SUVs which would probably mean that you'll be torquing this bar close to, if not past, its limits of flex.

Just my $0000.02.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read the original post to mean he wants to install two OEM swaybars from an EXPLORER (not a car) in the rear, instead of one aftermarket one.

Personally, it sounds like a lot more hassle (even if it was doable), than scoring an EE swaybar made for the Ex.

with the rollover potential our vehicles have by nature - if i were going to fiddle with the suspension it would have to be something that was designed and tested for my X

just my .02

Hi 2many:

Considering all the fab work needed to mount a second bar, I'd just spend the $180 on the EE one. I just put one on mine, and the difference is truly amazing. It took about 30 minutes. Another thing to consider is that if you increase the rear roll stiffness too much, your Explorer will tend to oversteer, making it easier to loose control.

Regards,
John.

I already have the EE rear bar. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of doubling up the stock one.

John - Nice footer. Are you an Engineer?

Hi 2many:

Yes, I am.

Another reason to avoid a 2nd swaybar is that the torsional stiffness of the bar goes up proportionally to the diameter^4. A 1.25" diameter solid bar (like EE) has 4.1 times the torsional stiffness of the stock 0.88" diameter one. So, if you add a stock bar to your EE one, you'll increase the torsional stiffness by another 25%. If you add a 2nd EE bar, it will increase by 100%. Or, you could switch to a 1.50" bar (if there were such a thing) and have the same 100% increase. So, adding a 2nd bar is a very inefficient way to add roll stiffness, even if it is cheap. (sorry - I can't turn off the engineer thing)

A more realistic option that might not be so much work would be to shorten the ends of the EE bar. If you put a spacer block between each urethane mount and the rear axle, moving the bar toward the rear, and fabbed a new attachment to the bar ends closer to the center of the bar, it would increase the stiffness. I can't say how much stiffer it would be without taking measurements, but it would be proportional to the distance you moved them in - i.e. if the arms were half their original length, the bar would be twice as stiff. This is the same principle behind adjustable swaybars used on some track cars.

Again, I repeat that as rear roll stiffness goes up, it tends to promote oversteer, which for a topheavy SUV can be dangerous. If you do any of the above, do so at your own risk.

Regards,
John.

No misprint...So far...

Did I read that right? Two sway bars with hardware
for under $50???

Must be some kind of a misprint.

I just looked at this site and priced out the 2 sway bars and the price is what they advertised... Of course shipping is almost as much as the bars cost...31-34 dollars depending on shipper...I do wish they listed the sizes of the bars though and whether or not they will fit the Explorer...

I just looked at this site and priced out the 2 sway bars and the price is what they advertised... Of course shipping is almost as much as the bars cost...31-34 dollars depending on shipper...I do wish they listed the sizes of the bars though and whether or not they will fit the Explorer...

The front most likely will NOT fit an Explorer. They are for a 2wd Ranger with coil springs, not for the torsion bar front end we have.

The rear should fit, as many people have swapped rears between RBV models.

As for the size, they are stock Thunderbolt/Roush sway bars. Google it and find out. Nevermind... I checked.
anyway the front is 1 1/8" the rear is 5/8"

Back