• Register Today It's free!

Rear timing chain

dean.piper

Reaction score
City, State
newcastle
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer 1999
Hi there, im only new to this forum as I have just purchased a ford explorer but here is my query.

I have the timing chain rattle im sure most of you are aware of. Im fairly sure its the front tensioners+guide that need replacing but today I took the right side rocket cover off because I wanted to check the rear timing chain too see how much slack was on the chain. Tensioner side of the chain is tight but on the other side of the cog the chain has a bit of slack, is this too much ? I think it might be ok but your expertise will be greatly appreciated. Please view the video I have uploaded too see what you think.

P.S you have to click on the "youtube video" link at the top of the video image ^^^

Also I have already bought (its in the post atm) a timing chain kit with all the guides/tensioners and chains but minus all the cogs . Is it possible to replace the main tensioner+guide (assuming thats the only thing thats stuffed) without removing the engine from the vehicle?

Thanks,
Dean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hate to say it but if there is that much slack the guide has cracked right where it mounts to the bottom. The engine needs to be removed only because the bolt that holds that guide is behind the flex plate. You can drop the trans if you want but then you still have to work on the motor inside the engine bay.

So is there a bolt at the back near the jack shaft that holds the guide assembly in place?

I just did mine this past spring. It is much easier with the engine out. Plus if you have a 4x4 and counter balance chain needs to be done you will have to drop the oil and lower engine support. Do have some place out of the weather to work?

Thanks for the links =]...And yes ive got somewhere out of the weather to work, just need and engine hoist.

Back