• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

rear tube bumper..

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
since I have free time and I had some steel lying around I decided to start working on the rear bumper..

Here is stage 1 spot welded together.

Once I burn in the welds with the big welder I'll also add some 1/2 plate to the mounts and drill them so I can use them with d-rings.

The mounts are 3/8" plate
The rectangle tube is 2x3 3/16"
Reciever mount is one I had lying around which I shortened to 5.5" long.

Stage 1 of custom tube bumper, spot welded only by maniak_az, on Flickr
More pics as I get farther into it.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..I thought you've been awful quiet when you are usually getting ready for Truckhaven..:D

..No live cam this time?

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Just a reminder.. If your going to build a rear bumper with a hitch, don't forget a place for the safety chains.

I had to use the X to pull the little trailer (empty) and it occured to me I didn't put any place for the safety chains.. Looks like I get to do a little more work to the bumper :)

~Mark

lets blaze

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 xl
mark, what are the adds of getting the actual specs/dementions on this bumper, I love it and it's fairly simple vs tube.
Thanks Jason

DirtJunky

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Callsign
DirtJunky
Bumpers sick.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
mark, what are the adds of getting the actual specs/dementions on this bumper, I love it and it's fairly simple vs tube.
Thanks Jason

What kind of info do you want? I didn't design it using any computer aide so I don't have any drawings.

Basically, I was trying to mimic my front bumper style except I wanted to be able to fit a 2" receiver in the middle and make sure there was enough room between the horizontal pieces for the high lift to fit (won't fit between them on the front bumper).

I used steel I had lying around except for the 2x3 square tubing (3/16 wall).

~Mark

colintrax

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
If you're adding d-rings then theres no reason for a spot to attach trailer chains. Use the d-rings and hopefully you'll never need em

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
The D-rings are at the frame rails (part of the bumper mounts). None of my trailers have that long of safety chaings and I don't think I'd want them that long anyway..

I put a piece of steel under the receiver at an angle and that works for my trailer with 1 chain. I'll probably add something else to it later but I'm working on the modifying the front bumper now.

~Mark