How to: - rear tube bumper.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: rear tube bumper..

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
since I have free time and I had some steel lying around I decided to start working on the rear bumper..

Here is stage 1 spot welded together.

Once I burn in the welds with the big welder I'll also add some 1/2 plate to the mounts and drill them so I can use them with d-rings.

The mounts are 3/8" plate
The rectangle tube is 2x3 3/16"
Reciever mount is one I had lying around which I shortened to 5.5" long.

7951625948_6fa99d0c09_z.jpg

Stage 1 of custom tube bumper, spot welded only by maniak_az, on Flickr
More pics as I get farther into it.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..I thought you've been awful quiet when you are usually getting ready for Truckhaven..:D

..No live cam this time?

Just a reminder.. If your going to build a rear bumper with a hitch, don't forget a place for the safety chains.

I had to use the X to pull the little trailer (empty) and it occured to me I didn't put any place for the safety chains.. Looks like I get to do a little more work to the bumper :)

~Mark

mark, what are the adds of getting the actual specs/dementions on this bumper, I love it and it's fairly simple vs tube.
Thanks Jason

Bumpers sick.

mark, what are the adds of getting the actual specs/dementions on this bumper, I love it and it's fairly simple vs tube.
Thanks Jason

What kind of info do you want? I didn't design it using any computer aide so I don't have any drawings.

Basically, I was trying to mimic my front bumper style except I wanted to be able to fit a 2" receiver in the middle and make sure there was enough room between the horizontal pieces for the high lift to fit (won't fit between them on the front bumper).

I used steel I had lying around except for the 2x3 square tubing (3/16 wall).

~Mark

If you're adding d-rings then theres no reason for a spot to attach trailer chains. Use the d-rings and hopefully you'll never need em

The D-rings are at the frame rails (part of the bumper mounts). None of my trailers have that long of safety chaings and I don't think I'd want them that long anyway..

I put a piece of steel under the receiver at an angle and that works for my trailer with 1 chain. I'll probably add something else to it later but I'm working on the modifying the front bumper now.

~Mark

Back