rear under floor storage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear under floor storage

Koldham

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 eddie bauer 5.0 AWD
so last week i as i was installing my new ranchos and shackles i realised how much space is wasted under the rear of the truck and that got me thinking."They" make prefabbed boxes that hold batteries that get recessed under the floor. the spot under the rear where the spare tire goes looks like a prime spot for something like that only bigger. has anybody done this? iv only found mods like this on landrover and trailer forums. the carpet seems to come up pretty easy if your cargo area is empty. would make a great place to store little used stuff like spare parts or tools

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'd have to relocated the spare, but if you have a roof rack I suppose it could go up there. What about the evap canister and vent lines for the tank? The tank sits far enough forward to make use of the space if the canister and vent are relocated. And as long as you don't mod anything that's structural, I suppose its do-able.

There's a thread for this already, been discussed before. Do a search and you'll probably find some good ideas.

i found the post where the guy put a battery in the back and i found JD4242s version. not quite what i was thinking

i found the post where the guy put a battery in the back and i found JD4242s version. not quite what i was thinking

Ok yeah those are the ones I was talking about.

i found some in floor boxes that are sized to hold a small winch and a battery for race car trailers. its a bit on the deep side but would go perfect right behind the rear seats over the axle. they are also pricey.

Back